BlackOlive's Reviews > America, You Sexy Bitch

America, You Sexy Bitch by Meghan McCain

Jul 12, 12

Read from July 05 to 12, 2012

My only issue with this book is that it isn't exactly what the premise started out as. They do get in an RV, travel to diff cities and meet some odd characters. But, they don't really interview anyone extensively. The core of it seems to be that each gives their own perspective on the various conversations or interactions they have — both with these characters and between each other as they relate to diff political issues.

That being said, "Meggy Mac" makes some interesting points regarding republican stereotypes and also why she feels the way she does on various issues and, as a result, I've come to respect her and "classic" republican thinking despite not agreeing with a lot of it.

Michael Ian Black is hilarious as usual and underneath the humor also gives very interesting, nuanced observations regarding what he perceives are the reasons for the wildly diverging mindsets of each party.

The interesting thing is that they both set out with the promise of open-mindedness, yet neither manages to sway the other much toward their way of thinking. However, I'm not really sure that was the point. In fact, I was glad they didn't. Instead each came to understand the other side better and break through the cliches a bit. They end up friends who want the same thing but disagree on how to get there.

All in all, it was extremely entertaining and softened me up a bit toward the republican viewpoint. Well, the classic republican, not the nutty extremists that MM refreshingly calls out herself.

Definitely worth the read. :)

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read America, You Sexy Bitch.

07/07/2012 page 63