Sarah E.'s Reviews > The Dark and Hollow Places

The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan

Jul 05, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, ya, zombies
Read in July, 2012

I finished this days ago and am now finally getting around to putting this up. Oops.

This book has always been my favorite in the series. It follows the point of view of Gabry’s sister Annah, who was separated from her when she was a kid. Annah is a better character than either Mary or Gabry, making the book more enjoyable for me to read. She doesn’t frustrate me, even though she has her issues. But she has reasons behind those issues, reasons that she’s closed off and bitter, and that makes her a much deeper character and an easier character to read about.

It makes her more relatable, and the choices she makes easier to understand, her sacrifices more impactful, and everything good that happens to her all that more reassuring.

Annah and Catcher’s relationship seems inevitable and I also think that it developed rather quickly. Catcher had been so against Gabry and willing to pull himself away, he just wasn’t as persistent with her sister making it seem like he just prefers Annah, and not that she broke down any of his walls.

As far as the plot goes, I didn’t feel like we made too much headway here. Sure, there is the developing relationship between Annah and Catcher (I love them together, by the way), the relationship forming between Annah and Gabry, and dealing with Annah’s leftover feelings for Elias, who had been pretending to be her brother. But, really, that’s it. The books are character driven. They are about people who live in a shitty world and deal with horrible things, and not the world itself. The title’s always imply something deeper, yet the revelations we are given are always something we’ve figured out for ourselves.

I don’t really have anything to say about this book that hasn’t been said in a previous review. The books are really good and they are fascinating. I just wish there would be a little more to them to make them more complete, more well-rounded. Character driven novels are fine, as long as the readers aren’t led to believe that there’s more to the story than they’re being told.

This is a good story, I just feel like it’s missing something.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark and Hollow Places.