Mary's Reviews > Yes, Chef

Yes, Chef by Marcus Samuelsson

Jul 27, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from July 18 to 27, 2012

This has to be one of the best memoirs I have read in a very long time. I did not know much about Marcus Samuelson when i picked up the book, but i wanted to read it to know more about the cooking world. Marcus is Ethiopian born, but adopted and raised in Sweden. The cultural issues of that experience are described through his story. I found the mix of what it takes to be a top chef and the implications of being a minority in this field to be a compelling tale. He tackles the issues through his experience without judgement but also talks a out his continuous searching and finding his place.

The book was also interesting in that the author describes the ways in which he went about developing his signature dishes. Marcus Samuelson has traveled extensively and he brings those travels to life through his food. As a reader you can feel the food and a young chef developing through those travels.

If you are interested in cooking, or if you just want a great read, this is a great story that I would recommend.

Reader received a complimentary copy from Good Reads First Reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yes, Chef.