Shane's Reviews > The Souls of Black Folk

The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. Du Bois

Jul 11, 2012

liked it
Read from July 05 to 11, 2012

I've been going through the gutenburg project's books (they're free, but most are 100 years old or more...) and trying to find the good books to read, this looked interesting.

It turned out to be a bit of history with various essays of people's experiences. The writing is of the literary vein, and not a style I'm used to, so it took some time to get into it. I would have liked more organization of the stories and flow of the book. It seemed a little meandering, which made it tough to follow. (I didn't read about the book itself until I finished. If I had I would have known this from the beginning, as apparently, "[the book] contains several essays on race, some of which had been previously published in Atlantic Monthly magazine.")

I expected to read this and realize how far we've come in the past 100 years or so. And yes, we've come far, but I was a bit surprised to see similarities with where we are now.

Namely, that the under-educated are still being taken advantage of by creditors, and current "undocumented" workers are in a similar state in terms with the law. Dr. DuBois proposed that to improve the condition for blacks, "(quoting the wikipedia summary) that the blacks of the South need the right to vote, a good education, and to be treated with equality and justice". Unfortunately, this doesn't seem an applicable solution for undocumented workers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Souls of Black Folk.