Brittany B.'s Reviews > Simply Irresistible

Simply Irresistible by Jill Shalvis

Aug 02, 12

bookshelves: great-series, my-first-of-author, buddy_read, rom_contemp, rom_guilty-pleasures, rom_pink_steamy, recs-by-friends
Recommended to Brittany B. by: Buddy Read with Dija
Recommended for: Girls with sisters!!
Read in July, 2012

Buddy Read with Dija:

I will consult with my buddy on the review. I think she had trouble connecting to the characters, which I understand.
But here are some of my initial thoughts:

I have lots of issues, and many have to do with my expectations. My end total rating is 3.5.
** I wasn't able to read this uninterrupted. And I'm trying to take that into consideration. But I feel like a lot of nothing happened until the last 10% of the book.

I also hoped for less of the appearance/weight obsessed/competitive sorority girl feeling and for more of either a funny Bridget Jones Diary or a Julie James-type book. Julie James writes women who are comfortable in their skin. I am over the appearance/weight insecurities in contemporary chick lit. Bridget Jones was appearance/weight obsessed but it was hysterical... This book just didn't make me laugh. It wasn't meant to, at least I don't think it was.

There are other issues I have, but overall Im very happy that I read it. I will likely read more of the series, now that I know what to expect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Simply Irresistible.

07/05/2012
5.0% "My first Buddy Read!
I'm only on Ch 3 but interesting so far. I hope I like the sisters. I love the Hero already, though im just getting to know the Heroine.
It seems like they'd have to sell the place..." 3 comments
07/05/2012
10.0% "It get's hot fast. Just a taste, but there's so much chemistry already. Yum yum. Dija get ready." 4 comments
07/05/2012
10.0% "These girls are filled with drama and issues.

I just want Jax and Maddie... :D"
07/05/2012
15.0% "Started good, but now I'm not sure what to make of it."
07/05/2012
45.0% "I'm almost half-way thru, but the story is losing me... The guys are flirting with the sisters, and I want to read about Maddie and Jax. The sisters have their own book.

I'm going to put this down for the night. I think I might be burned out from reading so many books these last few days..."
07/06/2012
45.0% "Ahhh just a little sleep and I'm back on track. I really adore Jax. He's a perfect hero so far.
Dija, what changed his mind about their relationship?" 4 comments
07/06/2012
80.0% "I like this book, but I didn't fall in love with the characters. This book does not make me wish for sisters... The sisters drove me nuts. They were just chaos. How you doing D?"
07/06/2012
80.0% "So my issue with the book: It's very weight and appearance conscious and competitive. But it lacks the humor of a Bridget Jones Diary that also deals with appearance and weight issues.
I don't relate to the sisters' dynamics either.

But I am tired of being the only person who doesn't like a book... This is the 4th book in two weeks that everyone loved but me. Still 4 star worthy."
07/07/2012
80.0% "Now that the sisters are gone, I'm very happy that the story is more interesting. =^)" 7 comments
07/07/2012
92.0% "Well the sisters are still around, but they grew on me. The story definitely gets really good.
All 6 bks of this series revolve around 3 sisters, then 3 friends.
The beginning of a big reveal happening..." 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dija Hey, Brit! (Do you mind if I call you that?) Wanna buddy read this?

Brittany B. Hey Deja. I was going to start today. But I will wait for you. Let me know when you are ready. I would love to.

And Brit is fine. Everyone calls me that. Even my initials-- BB is fine.:)

Dija Thanks for waiting. Actually, we can go ahead and start today, because I'll be finished with the book I'm reading soon.

Our first buddy read. I'm so excited! :D

Brittany B. Ok. Let me know when you finish, the other book, but I've never done a buddy read. How does it work?
Do we read up to a certain point? When do we communicate about it? :) ❤❤❤❤

Now you're my first, it was going to be Aly at the end of the week. But you are going to pop my buddy-read cherry... Lol that is so crass! Forgive me for my sick humor. :D

Dija There aren't really any rules, we just read together in the sense that I read whenever I have the time and same goes for you, then we stalk each other's updates and discuss the book. It's nearly impossible for both of us to completely keep pace with each other, but we can try as much as possible.

Have you already started? It might take me a few hours before I finish the one I'm reading, so if you want, you can go ahead and start it and I'll catch up with you later.

And haha, no problem! Happy to be your first. ;)

Brittany B. :)

Gotcha. I am listening to Victoria Dahl right now, but I will start it in a few hours.

Brittany B. Simply Irresistable is supposed to be GREAT.

I'm kind of excited!!

Dija I know! I've heard so many great things about it, and the sixth book in the series came out recently too, so I've seen this book pop up on my feed even more than usual. Can't wait to see what the hype's all about. :D

Sarah I hope you both love this one as much as I did! I've never done a buddy read before but I read this one not that long ago so I might just have to start stalking your updates and join the discussion if you don't mind :o)

message 10: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija I'd really like that, Sarah! And buddy reading is lots of fun, you and I should try it out sometime as well. I'd be more than happy to pop your buddy-read cherry, LOL. XD

Sarah LMAO Dija that sounds like fun :op

message 12: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija I'll have to check out your bookshelf to see which book we both have in common that we could buddy read.

Aly is so frigging bored The 5th is out Dee, 6th ot yet on the 31st. I had a great time reading this series :) JS is very funny, I love her style.

Brittany we still startin' Mercy tomorrow right?

message 14: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija Ah, then it must have been the ARCs that everyone was reviewing.

message 15: by Brittany B. (last edited Jul 05, 2012 10:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brittany B. Yes Aly We're totally definitely on for tomorrow. I thought today was Wednesday... Lol. But tomorrow would be perfect. :)

Sarah I love it if you join the discussion.

And Dee- I've started, I'm on ch 3. I'll stop at Ch 5 until you catch up... :) let me know.

message 16: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija Okay, thanks. It's taking me longer than I'd thought to finish the one I'm reading, but just give me another couple of hours. Even if I'm not finished with it by then, I'll start SI.

Aly is so frigging bored I want updates from both of you so I can nose in :))

Sarah I'll 2nd what Aly said about lots of updates so we can join in please :o)

I'm just about to reply to your message Dija

message 20: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija I'm on chapter 6 right now, but I'm going to sleep before I read anymore. Let me know how much you end up reading so I can catch up with you when I wake up. :)

Brittany B. Dija wrote: "I'm on chapter 6 right now, but I'm going to sleep before I read anymore. Let me know how much you end up reading so I can catch up with you when I wake up. :)"

That's perfect. Good Night:)

Brittany B. My attention is fading. I think it's just been a long few days, and I'm mentally exhausted.

Brittany B. Maybe the sister thing annoys me a little because I can't relate. I grew up with 4 brothers. I didn't have sisters. It reminds me of living with neurotic sorority sisters... Lol.

message 24: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija Yeah, I think that might be why you can't connect to the whole sister situation. I'm not having any problems with it so far though.

How much have you read?

Brittany B. I like it much better after getting sleep. I was worn out yesterday. But I love it. It's wonderfully smexy!

I went back to Ch 10 when I woke up. (5 mins ago) :)

message 26: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija I agree that it's sexy, but I'm not really connecting with the characters. :/

I'm just starting chapter 10 right now. Glad we're almost at the same place. :D

message 27: by Brittany B. (last edited Jul 06, 2012 03:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brittany B. I felt just like that last night. I do understand. I went back a little farther than i realized. So now I'm on ch 10 now. - he's talking to his assistant. His dad comes in and is ruthless.

(I'm so sad that KMM wants us to "forget" about Mac and Barrons, for Dani. I'm glad you posted that stuff: it will get me prepared for the book buzz)

Anyway, I do like Jax a lot.

message 28: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija I like Jax a lot too, but the connection thing is really not letting me enjoy the book fully, you know? I'm still waiting for the unputdownable-factor to make an appearance.

Brittany B. Dija wrote: "I like Jax a lot too, but the connection thing is really not letting me enjoy the book fully, you know? I'm still waiting for the unputdownable-factor to make an appearance."

I get it completely. That's how I felt last night.

message 30: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija I'm going to read now, because I'm still stuck at the beginning of chapter 10. I'll let you know if my feelings change. :)

Sarah I really love the relationship between the sisters. I have 3 step-sisters and it was just the same as we were growing up - lots of bickering and arguments but everyone was there for each other when it really came down to it.

It's a shame you're not really connecting with the characters Dija, I hope you find you're enjoying it more now. Brittany - I'm glad you're liking it more now you've had a good night sleep :o)

message 32: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija I'm still enjoying it a lot, Sarah, but the connection thing is still an issue. I'm not sure if it's just the mood I'm in or the book.

Sarah My mood can have a big effect on how I feel about a book so it could be that but perhaps you're just not going to be a huge fan girl of this series like I am LOL.

Brittany B. Dija are you going to read more of this series?

I will, but I'm going to split it with Mercy once I get caught up. So probably by Monday.

message 35: by Dija (last edited Jul 07, 2012 08:56AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija @Sarah: I think it's simply because I didn't find either of the main characters relatable, but I think that could change because I like Tara and Chloe more than Maddie and Ford and Sawyer more than Jax already.

@Brit: Yeah, I plan on reading the rest of the series, but not back-to-back. How about after you finish Mercy, you and I pick out a day of the week we'll start the rest of the books on, like maybe every Friday or something. That'll give us the rest of the week to read other books of our choice and we'll also be able to buddy read this series.

Sarah I loved both Maddie and Jax but I love seeing how everyone has different opinions about the same characters. What a boring world it would be if we all thought the same things lol. I hope you like the next 2 books even more, I've not started the fourth one yet but am hoping to get to it soon :o)

Brittany B. Sarah you are a sweetheart!

Sarah Awww thanks Brit :o)