Russ's Reviews > This Side of Paradise

This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Nov 16, 08

bookshelves: 2008, historical, novel
Read in November, 2008, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I'm not quite sure what to think about this book. It's heavy reading, with some major ideas and themes. It's very hard to get through at times. It can be very strange in parts. I think this is a book you cannot understand with one reading. I may have to revisit this again someday to really know it and see what Fitzgerald was trying to say.

I do like how the book follows the life of one person. It was quite interesting to see what happened to Amory and how his adventures in life shaped him and made him think about himself. Essentially, this is one large character study.

I thought the Princeton scenes were great. They really show what college must have been like at the turn of the century. I really appreciated the friendship between Amory and Tom. They don't really fit in, so they fit with each other.

Much like "East Of Eden," this novel features one woman you will not soon forget. Her actions in this book set everything else in motion. Fitzgerald might have been too fancy a writer, but he wrote some great, unforgettable characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Side of Paradise.

10/24/2008 page 10
11/04/2008 page 44
20.66% "Yes, I'm slow with the reading. Patience. I will finish it."
11/16/2008 page 213