Julia's Reviews > Dead Man Walking: The Eyewitness Account of the Death Penalty That Sparked a National Debate

Dead Man Walking by Helen Prejean

Jul 14, 12

Read in July, 2012

As I read this book I waffled between feeling wretched and bored. A strange combination of emotions, I know. The emotional turmoil came mostly from a cognitive dissonance that developed as I read through this book which describes one nun's quest to help people on Death Row. The author really made me feel as if these murderers, despite their horrible deeds, should not die. Yet every time I was reminded of the horrible things the criminal had done to completely innocent people I again felt that no, what happened to them was justified. I don't remember the last time I've read a book that argued for something I don't believe in. The last thing I can remember right now is Machiavelli's The Prince and, perhaps, Utopia.

The emotional conflict was interesting, but I found some parts of the book so boring that I just had to skip certain parts. I feel like the book should have ended after the first story about Elmo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Man Walking.