Billy's Reviews > Humility: True Greatness

Humility by C.J. Mahaney

Apr 06, 14

Read in March, 2008 — I own a copy

With an open heart, this book will open your eyes!,

Short, consise, well-versed, advice on living a life of humility, not as the world sees it (weakness, shyness), but as seen through the eyes of God. True greatness is achieved through true humility.
And C.J. Mahaney systematically lays out a blueprint for God's plan for our life. God's plan; not our plan. This is the key to understanding true humility; understanding that we must be servants, as Christ demonstrated, in order to remain on the path that God has chosen for us.
Are you willing to lay all at the foot of God in order to let him transform you in to a creature that is successful; at home, at work, at play. God wants success for his people, but he desires humility.
A continual reference to one key point in this book is that God gives grace to the humble. Well, as we all know, God's grace is all we have to begin with because we are nothing without him, but now we see that there is something that we can do to draw God's gaze and bring grace to our lives. What a true relief. Through true biblical humility, we can attract God's gaze, draw his attention and receive blessings beyond which we have already, through grace, received. How humbling, how encouraging, how exciting!
I have suffered many setbacks in my life, inlcuding 10 years in darkness after I turned my back on God, but this book, the first that I read when I truly dedicated my life to the Lord, has led to such a great understanding of what God has for us, for me.
C.J. Mahaney uses real-life analogies and stories to relate the message that is repeated throughout God's word, and he backs all of that up with scripture.
I cannot more highly recommend a life changing book, especially for a new Christian; this book will provide the foundation for all future endeavors in your life in God's will. This book helped me to understand that I was self-centered, egocentric and selfish; even with my wife and daughters who I love and thought I would do anything for. It helped me to find the places, deep inside, that I needed to change in order to effectively humble myself in every facet of my life.
I still suffer trials, to be honest, I feel that I suffer more since I became a true Christian, but I see them as a blessing, a gift, an opportunity for me to, as it says in James, grow in faith. James 1:2-3 (not referenced in the book, but so very valid here) states; "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance" (NIV). What an encouragement! What a blessing! GRACE!!!
Please, read this book. The chapters are short enough for a devotional period and the results, if you are receptive to God's word, are remarkable.
Humility, despite what the world believes, is the key to happiness both here and in the hereafter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Humility.