C.J. Ballantyne's Reviews > A Princess of Mars

A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Jul 04, 12

Read in July, 2012

I love all Of edgar Rice Burroughs books and A princess of Mars is no exception. In reality I think it is one of the first fantasy's ever written. Oh, sure it was labed science fiction from the people of that era, but a man magically wisked away to the planet Mars who then comes in contact with the fictional people of Mars, and meets a princess, who he saves. Really people, it's a fantasy. I think the film 'John Carter' which was based on this book, didn't do so well for a couple of reasons. One - it should have been called A princess of Mars, and 2 - It's been a while since people have read that series, so the advertising was all wrong and the movie didn't do well, but it was close to the storyline. Due to the gravity on mars John carter our hero, has super like powers, can jump extreemly high and has super strength and over the length of the book he get's into many fights and eventually becomnes a prince of Mars. He saves the two main races from waring with each other and saves the whole planet before he is once again wisked magically back to earth. On the whole the story is tight and believeable, written in the style of the time which may put some people off, but I say it's a really enjoyable story and I recommend it thoroughly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Princess of Mars.