Letty's Reviews > Five Little Peppers and How They Grew

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew by Margaret Sidney

Oct 24, 08

Recommended to Letty by: Nebraskans
Recommended for: people who appreciate cheesy, old fashioned stories
Read in October, 2008, read count: 1

I often refer to a book I have called "Our Books, Our Wings" which lists favorite books of Nebraskans. The Five Little Peppers was mentioned by so many people as one of their favorite childhood books that my curiousity was piqued. The introduction kind of compared it to "Little Women" and I guess I could see the resemblance, though with much younger children, and much greater poverty (they didn't have a cook/maid--that's poverty???). The main focus of the book is on the child Polly, who is only 10-11 and basically cares for the household while the mother (widowed) tries to get work, money, etc. I found myself often frustrated that Polly seemed to bear more of the household and parenting burden than the mother herself. It seemed like she was growing up too soon; and yet, I was amazed at all she was capable of at such a young age! And to think, that her siblings actually listened to her and obeyed/respected her. Wow. Times have certainly changed! Anyway, this is probably not a book for a wide audience, but at least my curiosity is satisfied!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Little Peppers and How They Grew.