Billy's Reviews > Evil at Heart

Jul 04, 2012

it was ok
Read in July, 2009 — I own a copy

Strike Three!!! Not a good series...,

I've read all 3 of the books in this series. Heartsick, the 1st, was bad; 2 stars from this reviewer. Sweetheart, book 2, was bad; I gave 3 stars, but that was kind. So here is book three. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me; fool me three times, well... the book was free from Amazon Vine so I figured I'd finish the series (still, double shame on me).

Cain's style of writing is not engrossing. Her description of person and place are uninventive and do not present anything that is easy to see in the mind's eye. Her attempts at suspense just come off as silly. Her description of what should be scary or gory is sad and there is no sense of blood and guts; this is supposed to be a serial killer book, so I would expect that.

Cain, who hails from Portland, still cannot, after 3 books, describe anything about the city that brings it to life. I said it on a review of one of her other books and I'll say it again here; if she writes about a place she doesn't know well (which I would assume she does of her hometown), she is in real trouble.

I cannot recommend this as a diversion; cannot recommend this as anything. I will offer that, because the books have sold well so some people must have enjoyed the books, if you liked the 1st 2 in the series you'll probably like this. I just don't like the writing, the story, the characters (who are milquetoast at best) or the "villain". This just isn't good storytelling; its not even a good story.

This book steers away from the Archie/Gretchen connection and that probably won't help those who did like the 1st 2 books. The only good thing I can say about this book is that there is one character that was well written and that was Henry Sobol; perhaps Cain should pen some stories with him as the protaganist.

Lastly, I don't think the series is actually over. There was no indication that this was a trilogy and I fear that another Archie/Gretchen novel is coming; I WON'T be fooled again, even if the book is free. I'm done with Archie and Gretchen. Cain will have to prove herself to me before I pay for any of her works.

Good luck.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evil at Heart.