Ferdy's Reviews > Grave Memory

Grave Memory by Kalayna Price

Jul 05, 12

Read from July 04 to 05, 2012

2.5 stars - spoilers

Grave Memory begins with Alex and her best friend, Rianna starting up their new private investigation business. After Alex witnesses a man throwing himself of a building, she's convinced that something more sinister's going on, so she offers her services to the man's grieving widow. Alex manages to convince the widow into hiring her to investigate the apparent suicide. Alex soon finds out that there have been a string of suicides and that all the victims seem to have been possessed prior to their death. Along with Rianna and her friends, Alex races to stop the creature possessing anyone else.

-The mystery surrounding the suicides stared of fairly engrossing but by the end it just got a tad confusing and boring. I would have preferred if the investigation had wrapped up sooner and instead had more time spent on more interesting plot points. Alex still knows very little about her fae heritage and I felt that there should have been more focus on that. I would have also liked more development in her relationships with Death, Falin and her dad.

-I was annoyed and irked by how many people were either pushing Alex around or lying to her or manipulating her - her dad, Falin, the collectors, Briar, the Winter queen and the FIB. It's always enjoyable when the protagonist has to find out the truth or overcome challenges but it was just ridiculous how little Alex has control of. It's strange how much her dad lies to her, after 3 books we're still no closer to finding out why he hid things from Alex or what his agenda is.

-I thought Alex's refusal to either align herself with a fae court or declare herself independant was just plain stupid. She should have done done some research into what her best option would be, instead she just avoids the whole thing and lets herself be harassed by the Winter queen. I don't understand why she didn't go to her dad for help or advice on the matter - it didn't make any sense, he obviously knows about the different courts, so why didn't she use him as a resource?? I'm pretty sure that the only reason behind Alex not picking a side was so that the author could create more drama and angst between Falin/Alex.

-Falin was just a douche, he treated Alex coldly because he was ordered to by the Winter queen but then he'd mess with Alex's feelings by giving her hope and acting nice for all of a few seconds. If he really cared about her, he shouldn't have been messing with her emotions that way.

-I was disappointed that Death only turned up in the last half of the book. His scenes with Alex were the highlight of the book - It's obvious he'd do anything for her and it was sweet how forthcoming he was with his feelings.

-The love triangle was frustrating - all Alex did was alternatively moan about missing Falin and then whine about not seeing Death. Alex was a right cow - with Falin she acted like he was the only one for her and that he was always on her mind when she actually spent half of her time thinking about another guy - it was pretty manipulative. I don't think Falin would be half as interested in Alex if he knew she had strong feelings for someone else. If there is another book, I hope the love triangle is resolved quickly - it's so tiresome.

-I don't know if there will be another book as the author has so far only been contracted to three. I hope there is because the ending had a cliffhanger of sorts and there's still a lot of loose ends that need tying up. I would have been happier if this book had an ending that offered at least some closure just in case there's no sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Memory.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cassie Ugh, so agree about the love triangle. I'm not done but it is so bugging the hell out of me every time Alex starts to whine about whatever guy she is missing at the moment.

And Falin is just making me mad. He knows they can't be together but he give her bread crumbs. Why can't he just be decent and leave her alone instead of leaving a rose for her or some other small token? And Alex is just as bad because she eats up those bread crumbs like she is so desperate for them. Driving me up the wall.

Ferdy IKR..I hated that Falin was so cold to her! I know he had no choice but why the eff was he then messing her around and giving her hope. I was annoyed that Alex was still chasing him when he was acting like such a jerk. Ugh, if he really cared about her he would have just remained professional and not been hot and cold with her.
I also think that he still loves the Winter Queen..in the previous book Alex asked him if he did and he completely avoided the question..and why would he unless it was true since fae can't lie.
I hope she sticks with Death because he's so upfront with his feelings for her. If there's another book, I hope Alex doesn't flip flop between the two.

Cassie Now that you mention it, yeah, he didn't answer Alex's question about him loving the Winter Queen still. Falin really irks me and I really don't even like him anymore. Though Death, yummy! =) He is perfect for Alex, he doesn't let her hide from their relationship.

I really didn't like the ending. The way things were going w/ Death I thought we would get a happy ending w/ Death and Alex. Seems like if this series continues, we are still stuck with this stupid love triangle. *sigh* And if it doesn't, we get stuck with a shitty ending for the series.

Ferdy Apparently the author's recently signed for another 3 books in the series..now I don't feel quite so cheated by that ending.
I'm guessing that the love triangle will drag on until the very end. The next book will no doub thave Alex whining about her not being able to be with Death and getting all hurt that Falin is acting like a cold bitch..ugh. I'll be pissed if she betrays Death and sleeps with Falin.
How the hell can he just move in with Alex in the first place..she's not even part of the Winter court so the queen can't do that?! Unless he's actually moving in with Caleb?! Grr..I'm so sick of Falin and the Winter queen!
I want to know more about Alex's dad - was I right in thinking that her dad said that Casey and her brother weren't even his bio kids?? If so why does he favour Casey more and treat Alex like crap?? It doesn;t really make sense.
I hate that the things we want explaining are not even touched upon and instead we have to read through a load of other rubbish that's not even important to the series as a whole.

Cassie Oh, that's good. Now I don't feel so bad about the ending.

Yeah, I'll be pissed too if she betrays Death. =( Somehow, I think it will probably happen though. And I don't know if I'll continue the series if the next book has as much whining as this one does.

That confused me too of how Falin could just move in. I mean, I guess the Winter Queen controls the city but I don't think that gives her the right to make Falin move in with Alex. And Caleb is independent so I don't see how she can force Falin on him either.

Yeah, Casey and her brother are from Alex's mom but not her dad so they aren't his bio kids. And I wonder what he meant by backups? But what exactly was her mom? I mean the necklace Alex's father gave her use to belong to her mom, so why would her mom need something that basically camouflaged her? The only thing I can see of why her father treats her they way he does is that he is trying not to be attached to her and he doesn't want anyone to know their connection. I don't think his plans are anything good for her. It comes back to his plans for her and whatever he is doing and who know what the hell they are.

I'm so tired of this love triangle and the pages it's wasting. I really want to find out more about the other Fae courts and about Alex's family and I feel cheated of that in this book. *sigh* Please be better #4.

Ferdy Yea I was totally confused about Casey and her brother's being back ups. When Alex said to her dad that he should tell Casey about being fae he implied that she's not. But saying they were backups to her mum's genetic line and saying that her mum needed that necklace to hide her appearance meant she must have been some sort of supernatural.
I always thought Alex's mum was human, I'm sure Alex said that she inherited her fae side from her dad. I don't get why Alex doesn't keep asking her dad about her mum and the family history in general. If her dad doesn't tell her then FGS she's a PI, shouldn't she IDK do some investigating?! Why the hell does a supposedly intelligent character stay willfully ignorant?!
I don't want the next book to concentrate on some random case or for Alex to moan about her love - life..oh no 2 guys love me - woe is me! Like you said I want it to be about Alex's family and the fae courts.

Simon Wood The thing that pissed me off the most about this book, other than the fact that it didn't deal with all the fantastic 'Faerie' shit that was set up the last one, was that Alex didn't really seem to give too much of a shit about her potentially being able to have death in her life in a real way. It was all very 'ho-hum', well I guess that's fine. Only been in love with him for ever. 'Oh, now it turns out I can't have him anymore. Well, I guess that's okay too. Whatever.'

Ferdy Simon wrote: "The thing that pissed me off the most about this book, other than the fact that it didn't deal with all the fantastic 'Faerie' shit that was set up the last one, was that Alex didn't really seem to..."

Yea, looking back Alex's reaction to not being able to be with Death was so meh. She claimed she loved him but she didn't really fight for him, it did seem that he was way more into her than she was him. I think she's going to one of those heroines that whines and wants whatever guy at the time is treating her coldly or shutting her out. I'm hoping the triangle is resolved in the next book, I can't stand it when it's dragged out for loads of books.