Cass's Reviews > Nightpeople

Nightpeople by Anthony Eaton

3891953
Jul 04, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, books-i-borrowed-library, dystopian-utopian, fantasy, i-highly-recommend, sci-fi, younger-readers
Read in July, 2012

Loved this book. I found it in the YA section of the library when I was trolling for some younger fiction. How long has it been hiding there?!?

This is a good quality fantasy/dystopian novel. It was in the young adult section but I really am not sure why. The protagonist is a child but all of her companions are much older.

Both the plot and the world are built slowly and skillfully as the book progresses. It is a pleasant change to read a book of this genre that does not dump everything into the first chapter. It is pleasant reading a book of this genre that is not a romance novel dressed up as lamb. I loved learning more and more about the characters as the novel progressed.

The writing is simple, perhaps this is why it is in the YA section, however this simplicity added to my enjoyment. I read every word, I neither skimmed nor skipped, nothing seemed wasted. I was never subjected to a description of the colour of the protagonist's hair, or the beauty of her smile. The book just told the story and allowed me to imagine the details.

I am trying very hard not to describe the plot because the author did such a fantastic job of weaving the details throughout the entire book that I don't want to give anything away. I feel just naming the genre has given too much away. It isn't that there were great plot twists, but there was a sense of satisfaction on learning things. The discoveries felt right, as if they were something you had always known. I liked that.

I am so very impressed with this book (have I said that enough yet?). I am so very glad that I borrowed the sequel at the same time (and kudos to the people who wrote 'Book 1' on the cover, all trilogies should be required to do this so that the reader knows!!).

Oh and for all those people who thought The Selection had good cover art (not me)... I want to say that this book has good cover art... my kind of cover art. I could stare at that cover for a long time just imagining the world that Eaton has built.

Oh and (pps?) it is set in a place like Australia... brilliant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightpeople.