Laura Thompson's Reviews > The Forgotten Waltz

The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright

Jul 07, 2012

liked it
Read from July 04 to 07, 2012

As much as it breaks my heart, I can only give this book 3 stars. The first third of this book is note-perfect. The prose is so gorgeous I don't even care that she's discussing the most depressing subject matter ever. I could not stop reading. Even though the characters were making bad decisions or I didn't "like" them very much, I was completely in love with the story, and her way of telling it. Then we get to the final third of the book, where the focus shifts from Gina and her story, to the story of Sean's daughter Evie. All the sudden, I was having a hard time caring about the book at all. It's not because I don't like kids (I have four), I think it's because it just seemed a glaring distraction from the mood of the first 3/4 of the book. It's as if this final bit was this after school special about the effects of an extramarital affair on a young girl. I felt it defeated the totally selfish voice of Gina in the best parts of the book. We know she's a selfish person. But her story is impossible to put down. When the story shifts to this uninteresting pre-teen, the punch of this book gets sadly lost.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Waltz.