Kayleigh's Reviews > A Great and Terrible Beauty

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

Jul 10, 12

bookshelves: historical-fantasy, coming-of-age, young-adult
Read from July 04 to 07, 2012

It's been a long time since I found a book so hard to put down. Bray paints a vivid picture of four girls struggling to hold on to their own dreams and ambitions in a society that has taken all their choices from them. The friendships, the frustration, and the small rebellions felt very genuine, the magic fresh and innovative.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Great and Terrible Beauty.

Quotes Kayleigh Liked

Libba Bray
“May I suggest that you all read? And often. Believe me, it's nice to have something to talk about other than the weather and the Queen's health. Your mind is not a cage. It's a garden. And it requires cultivating.”

Libba Bray
“Women who have power are always feared.”

Libba Bray
“Felicity ignores us. She walks out to them, an apparition in white and blue velvet, her head held high as they stare in awe at her, the goddess. I don't know yet what power feels like. But this is surely what it looks like, and I think I'm beginning to understand why those ancient women had to hide in caves. Why our parents and suitors want us to behave properly and predictably. It's not that they want to protect us; it's that they fear us.”