Carol Royce Owen's Reviews > Zen and the Art of Faking It

Zen and the Art of Faking It by Jordan Sonnenblick

Jul 04, 2012

liked it
Read in July, 2012

I've loved all of the Sonnenblick books I have read so far, Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie, After Ever After, Curveball; the year I Lost My Grip, but Zen and the Art of Faking It just wasn't up to the level of those. It was the typical story - boy goes to a new school, creates a new identity for himself, gets everyone believing in him, gets caught in the lie, loses everything, is forgiven in the end. I liked the character of Woody a lot and I wished too that more was done with the social studies teacher and other adults in the story. They were too minor, whereas if they had been brought to the forefront a little more, even one of them, I would have liked this better.
I did find the predicament of San Lee (his father being in jail) interesting, and one that I had not seen addressed in a YA novel before, but again I was looking for more - more feeling, maybe a phone confrontation with his dad, an opportunity for Woody or someone else to give him some advice - a letter just wasn't enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zen and the Art of Faking It.