Ranee's Reviews > That Kind of Guy

That Kind of Guy by Mina V. Esguerra

Jul 13, 12

Read on July 05, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: one

That kind of guy is Anton, buff, neat, sleek and reeks like a real player. That kind of manang is Julie, naïve, comfortable, clueless and arrows pointing to the direction of boring. So what do they have in common? At first glance, nothing. But one has to read on to understand that chemistry is not for elements only.

The characters are relatable and the scenes timely. I believed a man like Anton would exist and the uncertainties that Julie has is plausible. I know of friends who are into dating games and playing them is a hobby and then there are some who just got tired and settled for a serious relationship and hence are more than happily married and then there are some who never tried to leave the game, Peter Pan syndrome of some sort but that would be another story. But it was Julie and her overanalyzing that hit a homerun in me. I am guilty of doing so, transcending what I thought were useless emotions to armor my heart thicker than before. Then again the dating game may be a means to place a shield on the real person until that right someone comes along, an armor like my "overanalysis" battle suit could not resist.

Mina finds inspiration in the lives and experiences of other people. This was written in the page about the author. And it got me thinking- What would she write about my life? (…gets up and gets a life)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Kind of Guy.

Quotes Ranee Liked

Mina V. Esguerra
“Next time, just say something. It doesn't have to be the first date. Maybe the third or the fourth. Don't wait a year if you're sure. Certainty is sexy. And owning up to your attraction is sexy, too, and if you do it right and you're not creepy about it, I bet she will respect you for it anyway even if she does not like you back.”
Mina V. Esguerra, That Kind of Guy

Mina V. Esguerra
“This was how a manang self-destructed, probably. Not with drugs or alcohol, but cholesterol.”
Mina V. Esguerra, That Kind of Guy