Rachel (BAVR)'s Reviews > Her Notorious Viscount

Her Notorious Viscount by Jenna Petersen

When I read the blurb for Her Notorious Viscount, a story about an uncivilized former gentleman who's forgotten how to function in polite society, I got genuinely (and foolishly) excited. My mind instantly went to this ...

GIFSoup

... but with a dude and his raging penis instead of Audrey Hepburn and her winning charm. So I walked into this reading experience expecting elocution lessons, the viscount trying to balance books on his head, clever musical numbers, and a little belligerent sexual tension between tutor and student. Sadly, what I actually got was a whole bunch of wangst from an unlikable heroine, a supposedly tough hero with no balls to speak of, and a mystery plot that wasn't as much of a mystery as it was an excuse for the heroine to act like an irrational shrew.

When one of the main conflicts of a story makes less sense than wearing shorts in the dead of winter, I cannot in good conscience rate the book above 2 stars. The writing isn't particularly clever or inspiring. It's a lot of the same. Same psuedo-18th century British speak. Same uninspired love scenes. I wasn't particularly impressed. Also, this viscount isn't the least bit notorious. There isn't even a wacky sampling of him screwing up simple social situations. Nor does he do this:

Bastard.

SUMMARY:
Lord Nicholas Stoneworth is thrust back into good society after the death of his beloved twin brother. He's been hanging out in London's underworld (yes, the author constantly refers to the bad side of town as the underworld, and yes, I did snicker each time I read it) as a fighter for several years because his daddy is a huge asshat who always loved his perfect brother more. So now a reluctant Nicholas is a viscount, and apparently a formal education and a life being raised by a goddamn marquis haven't really stuck in his big dumb brain. I'm assuming that all the fighting has turned him into Rocky Balboa.

GIFSoup

More than willing to offer her help is the prim and proper Jane Fenton. Although she's a lady's companion, Jane knows all kinds of stuff about propriety because she used to be a lady. *cue the saddest violin music ever* The daughter of a viscount, Jane was a perfectly acceptable member of society until three things happened. First, her brother got hooked on opium and disappeared in the dreaded underworld. Secondly, her daddy kicked the bucket without bringing his selfish bastard of a son home. Thirdly, Jane's cousin Patrick inherits the title under the grounds that her brother Marcus is probably/most-likely dead. This all leads to Jane losing her bananas. In exchange for her help preparing Nicholas for society, Jane asks the lovable rogue to search the underworld for Marcus to prove that the rightful viscount still lives. This naturally leads to sex.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!
For about one chapter of this book, I actually felt sorry for Jane. She's just this sad little thing in the beginning, trying to hold onto her pride even though she's fallen so far. She regrets being invisible now that she's little more than a servant. My sympathy went out to her. It would suck to go from carefree young woman with marriage prospects to some sort of social leper, free to go to all the same functions but unable to associate with "friends" from little more than a year ago. I thought, "Poor Jane. Her cousin must be a real asshole, throwing her out penniless like that. I can sympathize with this heroine."

But THEN the true story comes out, and it becomes clear that Jane is not so tragic as she is fucking hysterical. So it goes down like this:

- Brother abandons family for opium and disappears off the face of the earth.
- Viscount dies with his heir NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.
- Cousin Patrick ascends to the title after having Marcus pronounced dead.
- Cousin Patrick offers to marry Jane OR sponsor her for a season so she can find a suitable husband.
- Jane's all like, "Fuck you and your reasonable and kind offers. My brother's ALIVE, and you're an IMPOSTOR, even though I've known you all my life and you've never given an indication of being anything but fair and kind. I will turn my nose up at society and common sense and become a common working girl so that I can investigate my brother's NOT-death on my own. I hate you forever and always, Patrick! Go to hell, you slimeball!"
- Jane repeatedly shows up at Patrick's house to "investigate" her father's records about Marcus. While there, she insults Patrick and accuses him of all sorts of treachery. He allows her to abuse him every time and never bars her from coming back for another bitch session.
- Then she pisses and moans to Nicholas about how horrible her situation is because Patrick did it to her.

I'm sorry, but what kind of person decides she'd rather be homeless and at the mercy of a society with such a rigid class structure when the supposed villain is a perfectly nice guy who offers to marry her but is TOTALLY COOL with it if she doesn't. It's like getting pissed off and throwing the tray back in the face of that sweet little old lady who offers you samples at Sam's Club. What else was Patrick to do in his situation? Allow the title and estates to fall into squalor? Someone had to save the Fenton line, and Jane sure as hell didn't do anything rational to help. In addition, why is Jane so dedicated to her brother? The man abandoned her and NEVER CAME BACK after the death of their father. He also failed to return when Jane demoted herself to servitude. So either Marcus REALLY IS DEAD, or he's the biggest douche who ever lived. (view spoiler)

So every time that Jane cried over her circumstances - this happens a lot - I just wanted to throw the book and shout, "You brought this on yourself, Einstein!" And since a majority of the plot is dedicated to Jane's hysterical mystery, very little time is spent with Nicholas singing "I Could Have Danced All Night" and cursing Mr. Higgins. To say that I was disappointed is an understatement.

There's a ridiculous fight at the end, in which Nicholas becomes a total wet blanket in the face of Jane's angry judgment. This woman is so intensely unlikable. I swear. She's the one who should have been banished to the underworld.

And one more thing. Underworld. Was Nicholas teaming up with Kate Beckinsale to fight werewolves while he was there?

GIFSoup

There's a good question to ponder, my friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Notorious Viscount.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah What, no crippled leg?! :O

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) I'm sad there's no leg wound. Thought that was de rigueur nowadays.

But "feisty heroine nitwits" makes up for that lack. :D

Rachel (BAVR) I've just realized that I have a lot of Goodreads duties today.

1.) Write a suitable review for the first (and only) Jenna Petersen book I'll ever read.
2.) Arrange my gimpy leg shelf.
3.) Keep faithful updates on my ST buddy read with Karla.
4.) Apparently, begin my manuscript on the first in my series of eunuch heroes. I plan to be a sub-genre star! Or at least a source of entertainment for like-minded sick individuals on GR. :D

message 4: by Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) (last edited Jul 05, 2012 06:56AM) (new)

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Most work days I come in with a list of stuff to do first, namely to do with GR.

Then, if I have time, I'll get around to doing the work I get paid for. :D

ETA: Re: Jenna Petersen. It looks like she wrote for Avon for a few years, and has been self-pubbing since 2011. And I've got 2 of the self-pubs on the TBR! Lucky me! :D

Rachel (BAVR) Don't read them! If I hadn't been so busy assassinating Jane's character in my review, I would have mentioned that the writing is often trite and uninspired. Better edit that ...

Is it mean to admit that I'm not surprised she's self-pubbing now?

message 6: by Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) (last edited Jul 05, 2012 10:09AM) (new)

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Be as mean as you want. I'll be right there with you. :P

*goes off to read review*

And I think I should read the self-pubs just to see if she's improved without Avon's taint. ;)

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Will BAVR allow me to hug her for this awesomesauce of a review?

message 8: by Rachel (BAVR) (last edited Jul 05, 2012 10:14AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rachel (BAVR) Little do most people know, BAVR loves hugs. And thanks! :)

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Rachel wrote: "ETA: I'm thinking of adding BAVR to my user name to differentiate myself from other Rachels on here. What do you think?"

I'm thinking, "Why haven't you done it already??" :D

message 10: by Willow (new)

Willow Was Nicholas teaming up with Kate Beckinsale to fight werewolves while he was there? ROFL!

You always write such hilarous reviews.

So did Jane ever say, 'Gee Patrick, I'm sorry I was such an arse?'

message 11: by Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) (last edited Jul 06, 2012 03:14AM) (new)

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) That "BAVR" after your name adds so much, and it's great to be distinguished from the rest of the pack. I'm glad I have my little moniker because there's another Karla who's a romance reader and let's just say I don't want to be confused with her. I'll be the Karla who doesn't put pics of half/naked dudes in her reviews.

Rachel (BAVR) Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "That "BAVR" after your name adds so much, and it's great to be distinguished from the rest of the pack. I'm glad I have my little moniker because there's another Karla who's a romance reader and l..."

I haven't met any EvilRachels yet, but I did change my name with that in mind.

Willowfaerie wrote: "So did Jane ever say, 'Gee Patrick, I'm sorry I was such an arse?'"

Not really. She just ran to him and complained some more about her lot in life. Poor Patrick.