Susan's Reviews > Chocolat

Chocolat by Joanne Harris

Nov 12, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: own-in-book-format, chicklit, family-relationships, fiction, food, friendship, history, historical-fiction, read-in-2010, reading-challenges, regrettable-reads, women, young-women
Read from November 09 to 12, 2010 — I own a copy

Ah, I really hate to write a bad review of a work of literature - usually I can find some merit somewhere within the pages, but alas, it is just not so with Joanne Harris' Chocolat. The story is your classic battle of good vs. evil, and frugality vs. excess. Unfortunately the execution is completely lacking in Chocolat, and the "battle" is not only hard to trudge through but also a little boring.

The atmosphere created by Harris does not contain any, well, atmosphere. The "feeling" of France is noticeably absent, failing to paint any kind of authentic picture in which the reader can become lost. I was looking for something similar to Tracy Chevalier's The Virgin Blue or Kate Mosse's Labyrinth, but I was bitterly disappointed.

In short, for a novel lauded by so many as magical, and fairy-tale-like, Chocolat was disenchanting at best. And on a side note, the movie is fantastic - I recommend it highly! I wish the book had lived up to its hype.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chocolat.

05/13 marked as: read