David's Reviews > Train to Pakistan

Train to Pakistan by Khushwant Singh

Jul 13, 12

Read in July, 2012

Excellent book. The copy I purchased at the Mumbai airport was actually bound incorrectly and was missing 18 pages. This was a real disappointment, because I was really getting into the book at that point.

The book was excellent. What was most distrubing was before the partition, Muslims, Hindus, and Sikhs lived in peace, and harmony, and afterwards, thanks to propaganda, group think, rumors, etc-they we're at war. This particular version also featured graphic photos taken by Margaret Bourke-White of the bloodshed.

A fascinating read-although probably not well know in the US everyone should read this book. Even the Indian-English which the book was written is so discriptive and enchanting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Train to Pakistan.

David Excellent yet difficult to read. The copy I bought in the Mumbai airport was actually bound wrong, and was missing approximately 18 pages. It was a real downer since I was really getting into the book.

The book really focuses on human psychology, group think, and prejudices. It was scary to read about the harmony between Muslims, Hindus, and Sikhs, and how that basically dissapated into war around the time of partition. I didn't know it until recently, and I bet most Americans didn't know it. Despite the missing pages, plus much words which might be common to the Islam/Pakistanian lifestyle but foreign to Americans, an excellent book. Everyone should read this.