catharine's Reviews > Then Came You

Jul 04, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, pink
Read from July 03 to 04, 2012

I was pondering what kinds of books men read that women don't, in the effort to come up with a less derogatory term than Chick-Lit for this book. Nick suggested that the corollary is spy or adventure fiction, in which men are faced with dangers, intrigue, and beautiful women. I think this is accurate in that women like to be confronted with novels in which women are strong and rise to challenges, but are more realistic that the challenges they face are likely to be things like paying rent and finding a community of support. There's also an aspect of gossip and voyeurism involved, where it is fun to watch and judge people for their choices. So call it Gossip Fiction, or Domestic Fantasy, or Paparazzi Stories.

Whatever you call it, Weiner is one of my favorite authors writing these kinds of novels, and I respect her just as much as Le Carre or John Grisham, or even Jeffrey Eugenides (as he proved out in The Marriage Plot).

It's interesting to watch 4 women's stories come together as they all, in their own way, become mothers, but the novel was a bit disappointing in its lack of depth into the positives, and more about how women abandoned by their mothers are half-constructed, flawed creatures. Judgey ones, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then Came You.