Jessica at Book Sake's Reviews > Sorry Please Thank You: Stories

Sorry Please Thank You by Charles Yu

Aug 03, 12

Read from July 04 to 05, 2012

ARC reviewed by Jessica for Book Sake.

This is a good collection of short (some very short) stories to introduce a reader to the author. That’s why I opted to read it at least. Some of the pieces that felt like they were simply taking up space, or maybe leaving too much space behind – a line per page for most of a story, while usually artistic, or meant to drive a point home, did nothing for me.

Other stories felt as if they could have been made into stand alone novels and still hold my interest. There were two in particular that I want to see again: Standard Loneliness Package and First Person Shooter.

Standard Loneliness Package (in the Sorry section of the book) featured normal everyday characters that weren’t doing anything extraordinary in their world, but it was different from our world, and the main character was just so realistic I felt compelled to know more about him.

In First Person Shooter (oddly enough in the same Sorry section of the book) a zombie is shopping, but it’s not your average zombie, although knowing that it was shopping might have led you to understand that. I would love to read a full book featuring the type of zombie’s features in this story. Again, the other characters in it were so real and flawed and lovable, that I found myself sad when those few pages were over.

I think I was about half and half over the stories that I really liked and the ones that just didn’t click for me. I didn’t find anything laugh out loud funny, but thought that the sci-fi aspects of the stories, the ones that featured sci-fi, were intriguing and oddly believable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sorry Please Thank You.

07/05/2012 page 132