Penny Landon's Reviews > Me: Stories of My Life

Me by Katharine Hepburn

Jul 04, 2012

Read from July 04 to 05, 2012 — I own a copy

Ever since I discovered the appeal of classic movies, I have been a fan of Katharine Hepburn. Everything about her was unique and I really enjoyed watching her movies, whether they were full of comedy or bogged down with drama. After visiting a used bookstore, I found this biography and knew I had to read it. I have always wondered about her life and this seemed like the perfect book. To be honest this is the first biography that I chose to read for myself and I completely enjoyed it. Although there may be some people that would fault her for the fact that she chose to do a nonlinear biography, I thought that the format was easier to stomach. She chose the moments in her life she liked the best and wrote them down. Her personality came through tremendously and I found the inner dialogue that she has with herself interesting. It was a little like listening to a wise and quirky grandmother telling you about her life. I also, unlike other people, didn't mind the fact that there was so little about Spencer Tracy in this book. What little she mentioned about him was just right because she managed to get across her feelings about him completely. They had a complicated relationship that I don't even think Katharine herself understood. The letter she wrote to him after he died and the preceeding chapter was so touching that I found myself almost crying. Katharine was completely candid in this biography and I enjoyed it very much. I would recommend this book only to diehard fans of Katharine Hepburn. You really have to be a fan to appreciate everything about her biography.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me.

Quotes Penny Liked

Katharine Hepburn
“Life is hard. After all, it kills you.”
Katharine Hepburn, Me: Stories of My Life