Koorihime-sama's Reviews > Girls of Riyadh

Jul 04, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: checked-out-from-library, paperback
Read in March, 2009

Checked out from the library.

Review/Rating:

2 out of 5

Sending anonymous yahoo group mass e-mails, a Saudi Arabain woman tells a story of her four friends about how they are trying to survive their country’s ways on how women should behave and do things.

This book wasn’t my cup of tea, but I read it so I can find out if I would like it, though, I didn’t like it in the end. :P Anyways, you would like this kind of book, if you’re into “girl power”, love sucks, but I’ll hang in there, type of books.

What I liked: The cultural information, some parts of the romance — which is not much, and the way it was written — yahoo group e-mails — which is kind of original.

What I didn’t like: It had information about love that should be obvious, but no woman wants to really know. It had the boringly common themes about love lives and how women go at lenghts for love, the cultural point of view was nice.However, the falling in love theme and problems in the book are common pretty much everywhere. Also, there were too many point of view changes — it played any-miney-money-moe with who told the part of story.

Well, if you like those types of books — where they talk and give pity parties about love lives (bleh!) :(

This book didn’t have that many of my interests, but the culture parts were pretty the only things that were interesting to me. Also, I added the smut tag because it talks about sex — a lot. ^^

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls of Riyadh.