Lydia Presley's Reviews > What You Wish For: A Novel

What You Wish For by Kerry Reichs

Jul 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012, comedy, contemporary, chick-stuff, fiction
Read in July, 2012

I remember the day it hit me that I was in my mid-30's and unmarried with no children on the horizon. It was a blow to me, I'm not going to lie. I'd grown up the eldest of nine and, even as a child, fully expected to be married by 21 and a mother by 22. I envisioned a house filled with childish laughter and a white picket fence out front. Now, at 35, I'm wiser and older (although the two did not happen concurrently) and have accepted the very real likelihood that motherhood is not in the works for me, just as I accepted that marriage was not for me about four years ago.

That's a very personal thing to put out there for a review, I admit. But that's how this book affected me. What You Wish For is a novel about unconventional parents. It's about adoption, IVF, natural pregnancy, birth, death, and life. It's real, honest, and it does not pull any punches. Kerry Reichs lays the facts out with brutal honesty and follows the natural path when it comes to the story of Maryn, Eva, Julian, Wyatt, and Dimple - even if that brings harm or an "unhappy ending."

Honestly, I loved and hated this book. I loved it for being so engrossing - I didn't want to put it down. I hated it for being so real. I hated seeing the facts about being a 35 year old woman put down on the page, and knowing that - if I decide to go the same route as Dimple - I may be facing some of the same difficulties. I hated reading about how difficult it is for a single man to adopt, or seeing what happens when zealots get their hands on information for political gains. What You Wish For is more than a feel-good novel, it's a contemporary study on what life is like now, what it is like to try to be a parent in a world that says that the "normal" parents are one man and one woman.

This is an important story and Kerry Reichs does a great job of pushing past the limits to deliver it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What You Wish For.