K.'s Reviews > The Cay

The Cay by Theodore Taylor

Jul 04, 12

bookshelves: boy-s-bookshelf, girls-bookshelf, kids-young, kids-tween-age
Recommended for: shipwreck theme lovers, anyone
Read on July 01, 2012

Contender 12/13 read aloud.

Heard raves about this book from diverse people. I really liked it, but not as much as I thought I would. That's not to say it's not worth reading, or sharing with your kids, because it is. I was just a little let down after hearing hype.

One thing I can really appreciate is the way the author made the characters real, 3D, not just one sided "good" or "bad" or even in the middle. They worked & acted like real people. Philip was a lame whiner at times. Timothy was patient, but occasionally lost it. True depictions. The mom really bugged me, but I could have very much been her.

Philip acts exactly like a somewhat spoiled ship-wrecked 11-year-old would. He whines and despairs and is very frightened, totally normal. I liked watching him grow in confidence and in compassion and understanding as events unfolded.

The real beauty of the book is the character of Timothy. I wish I could hear his beautiful voice. The author does a good job of portraying and almost making the reader hear it. He was the perfect mentor, which is probably why this book is important. He had a gentle and yet forceful way of making Philip learn the things he'd have to know to survive, but he taught him so much more than survival.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cay.