Hilary's Reviews > Year Zero

1702050
Jul 14, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, sci-fi, musician-books, humor, 2012, favorites
Read from July 12 to 14, 2012 — I own a copy

I won this book through First-Reads, and man am I glad that I did.

Year Zero has been compared to Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which in terms of humorous sci-fi, is comparing it to the best of the best; even if you aren't a fan of Douglas Adams you still have to acknowledge his writing prowess and fame.

Here's a horrible confession: I liked Year Zero more than Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. There, I said it. I enjoyed it more, and I felt that it resonated far better with my generation. The book was hilarious, truly inspired, and had enough geeky references that I'm certain it'll cause even the most cynical Farker or Redditor to laugh out loud.

The book was fast-paced, intricately woven, and irreverent as hell. It had me laughing, and thinking about it even when it wasn't in my hands. Seriously, get this book as soon as possible and read it. You will enjoy it. I guarantee it. I can't think of a single person who wouldn't laugh at this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Year Zero.

07/12/2012 page 11
show 3 hidden updates…

message 1: by David (new) - added it

David Katzman Your blasphemy is offensive, but i will give it a chance anyway. ;-)

Hilary Oh lord, I know. I'm a blasphemer from the start... I also preferred The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I know, I know. I'm part of the horrid minority here.

You've gotten me hooked on Grant Morrison, you know. I still can't stop thinking about The Invisibles and am itching to talk to someone about it. The Barbelith forum is also not accepting new users, so I'm effectively shot for people to discuss it with. It's horrid, but also strangely appropriate.

message 3: by David (new) - added it

David Katzman I was also a big fan of TLDTOTS! Although I wouldn't say I liked it more than HGTTG. But I'm a sucker for P.I. satire (see Death by Zamboni) :-)

I just read somewhere that DC is going to release a collected edition of The Invisibles with bonus material. And you forgot to get me a birthday present, so ....

I do want to re-read this so then we could maybe start a discussion group and invite others to it!

Hilary Oh lord, yes. I'm extremely excited about the collected edition... crazy to think it's over 1,000 pages long. Doesn't seem that long when you're reading it, does it? I've also been wanting to reread it with all the annotations...

Speaking of which, have you read 30 Days of Night? I'm reading that series at present and am shocked at how well the horror is conveyed. The artwork is also gorgeous... curious to see how the film holds up.

How goes the writing with you?

message 5: by David (new) - added it

David Katzman I haven't read 30 Days of Night. I know Niles did 28 Days Later which I hear is a great movie. If you like smart horror comics, Animal Man from the New 52 written by Jeff Lemire is creepy and weird. And it connects with the new Swamp Thing, which is also a smart horror-ish comic. Coincidentally, Morrison wrote Animal Man when it first launched!

At the moment, I'm writing a comic short for a collection illustrated by a cool artist I know (http://www.felipe.tv/). It's going to be various short comics written by different writers but all have to feature robots and women. So of course, I'm going to deconstruct that. :-)

I'm also working on putting something unusual out by the end of the year, too. What about yourself?

Hilary I was about to say, didn't Grant Morrison do Animal Man?! :D

Very nice, robots and women.. makes me think of Stepford Wives a wee bit. Also, 28 Days Later was phenomenal. Ran a bit long, but still a great film. I'll have to check out Animal Man and Swamp Thing... can't quite resist.

I'm working on a biography right now, actually, as well as some short fiction... really have to get back into gear on it all, been a bit shaky with the writing lately.

message 7: by David (new) - added it

David Katzman A biography! How interesting. I never in a million years would have thought to write a biography. Dare you reveal of whom?

Hilary I dare... I dare. John Entwistle of The Who. :)

message 9: by David (new) - added it

David Katzman Nice! Seems like to pull something like that off you'd need to interview some of the gang. Could be huge.

Hilary I'm working on doing just that, actually. It's a bit difficult, but so very worth it. I'm quite excited about it :)