Kristin's Reviews > The Drawing of the Three

Oct 31, 08

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended to Kristin by: Amanda
Read in October, 2008

Book two picks up right where Gunslinger leaves off. Roland, the last Gunslinger fell asleep sitting on the beach and woke up a bit on the groggy side. Next thing he knows, a lobstrocity has munched his right hand and foot. And book two is off and running. Roland knows he going to come across three doors, and three people behind those doors, on his quest for the penultimate Dark Tower. This is that story.

Okay, so I'm really simplifying the plot here, but I simply cannot do justice to Kings prose. After reading The Gunslinger in one sitting, I was leery if book two would be as engrossing - it is. The world to me is definitely a cross between a spaghetti western, Zelazny's Amber series, and an epic fantasy.

And it's the small things that really make this story click - such as the cocaine addict Eddie who fights a gun battle buck nekked. King has Roland acknowledge this feat, in the middle of battle, which makes it that much more poignant.

I had read one review for this book, in which the reader thought book two was darker. I have not found it so - the whole series has a darkness to it, but there are dry, wry, tidbits of humor sprinkled through out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drawing of the Three.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Charette I know I'm being a little nit-picky, but he was addicted to heroine, not cocaine.

Kristin No prob! Thanks for the correction.