Leigh (Little Book Star)'s Reviews > Villette

Apr 19, 13

bookshelves: 012, u-z, classics, buddy-read
Read from July 07 to 24, 2012

ORIGINAL REVIEW AT: LITTLE BOOK STAR

Every time I read a review about Villette on Goodreads, they would always compare it to Jane Eyre (another of Bronte’s work). Most of them have said that this last work of Bronte is more brilliant than Jane Eyre. That’s what got me to read Villette. Jane Eyre is my favorite classics book and since a lot of reviewers said in their reviews that Villette was better, I told myself I have to check it out. Well turns out it was the other way around. For me, the only thing that they have in common is their occupation – both were a governess.

Before I read a book, I always read one or two reviews so I get the heads-up of what the story might be about (besides the summary of course). Since I’ve been told that those books were quite similar, I expected Villette to be about romance, like Jane and Mr. Rochester. Turns out, the romance part does not come out till the last volume of the book.

How I see this book is we get to know more about who Lucy meets rather herself. I like to call this book “Lucy and Friends” because that’s basically what I see. We get to know more about the other characters than our protagonist. I might be redundant but that’s just what you’re going to read in the book.

Despite of what I disliked, there was something in the book that got me hooked on to though. I was not expecting for it, let me give you a clue: the nun. I usually read at night in the living room or in the kitchen and when I read that part, I literally ran to my room. It was the scariest thing to me. It was totally unexpected.

Basically, only some parts in the book were page turners. The more you read, the longer the pages there are per chapter. This was an okay book to me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Villette.

07/07/2012 page 29
5.0% "I LOVE THIS BOOK :,D ^_^ !!!"
07/09/2012 page 50
9.0% "omg! My name's in this book "Mrs. Leigh" haha! How cool"
07/17/2012 page 239
41.0% "The pgs. per chapters are getting longer and longer!"
show 5 hidden updates…