Kelly Hager's Reviews > Spark

Spark by Amy Kathleen Ryan

F_50x66
Jul 05, 12

Read from July 04 to 05, 2012

I absolutely loved Glow and Spark was even better. It's told from the perspectives of Seth, Kieran and Waverly and it's interesting to see (a) how each character is getting increasingly paranoid about the motivations of the others and (b) how each is able to justify their own actions. I minored in sociology and this is an absolutely fascinating study in how things fall apart in society. Obviously everyone thinks they're right (because if you didn't, you'd obviously be acting differently) but really, everyone is at least 25% wrong.

While each character is interesting and easy to empathize with (although some characters are easier than others), I found myself especially drawn to Waverly. The fact that she had to kill someone in Glow has obviously changed her and made her a lot darker in this book. I love that Amy Kathleen Ryan decided to explore that (as Veronica Roth did in Insurgent) because I don't understand how killing someone---however necessary or justifiable---wouldn't affect you if you are any kind of a decent human being.

I absolutely cannot wait for the third book, which is out next summer. This is an amazing series and I highly recommend it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spark.