Chris Hamilton's Reviews > Robert B. Parker's Lullaby

Robert B. Parker's Lullaby by Ace Atkins

Jul 08, 12

Read from July 04 to 08, 2012

When it was announced that Ace Atkins would be writing Spenser novels going forward, I was skeptical. A very large part of me wanted Spenser to die with Robert B. Parker. Having someone continue to write the Spenser series seemed as foolhardy as the Magnum PI movie, or the Rockford Files reset that kept being rumored.

I was ready to be angry and put off.

And I wasn't. Although there were some style differences (including a lot fewer dialog tags--a good thing), Ace Atkins remained absolutely true to the canon, the style, and the feel.

Spenser is hired by a girl who wants to know who really killed her mother. For a box of donuts, he takes the case, and a plethora of Spenser universe characters shows up and are treated correctly--Susan, Quirk, Belson, Vinnie Morris, Rita Fiore. And, of course Hawk. There's the typical casting about as Spenser keeps poking things until something disrupts the status quo.

I really expected to hate this book and I really liked it. It's brave thing to do to pick up a series like this.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robert B. Parker's Lullaby.