Terri's Reviews > Chanel Bonfire

Chanel Bonfire by Wendy Lawless

Jul 04, 12

Read in July, 2012

I received the ARC from the publisher this week and read the memoir in one day. I simply couldn't put it down. Unlike many memoirs, Lawless didn't grow up with poverty, sexual abuse, etc. Actually, I felt like she was the "poor little rich girl." Who wouldn't want to live at the Dakota? Or in London during the 70's? However, I feel this author's story proves once again we can't judge a book by the cover. Those witnessing Lawless's growing up years didn't have a clue what went on behind closed doors, until later years when the mother's outbursts were becoming public.

Wendy and her sister endured a deep emotional abuse, which also leaves damage and scars. And yet, in reading the story I didn't detect any self-pity on the part of the author. She had a story to tell and she told it. Extremely well! And as a reader, I very much enjoyed it. One thought stayed with me throughout the story, right up until the end.....The older I get, the more firmly convinced I am that not every woman is cut out to be a mother. As this story proves so well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chanel Bonfire.