Choi Tang's Reviews > Duchess by Night

Duchess by Night by Eloisa James

Jul 04, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from July 01 to 02, 2012

I had picked this up due to the fact that Eloisa James had dedicated it to Georgette Heyer, thinking well if the author likes GH enough to dedicate a book to her she must be ok, and she was indeed! Nothing spectacular, but an enjoyable Regency romance all the same. I was glad that rather than try to imitate GH, James seems more to pay homage to her through her own style (thank goodness! How rare it is to find a historical fiction that doesn't inevitably picnh GH's ideas).

A scandalous house party in which a duchess is disguised as a young man in an attempt to fill the emptiness in her life sets the scene to what should have been a fun-filled few weeks amongst a group of pleasure hunting patrons, however Lord Strange (the mysterious hero and host) was disappointing as he was NOT AT ALL scandalous and has a child in which he locks in the west wing to prevent her meeting these vulgar people...I would have loved more scandal and frivolity but the house party seemed dull and the child just bought a sense of duty to the heroine which ruined more of the fun. Still, definitely going to read some more by Eloisa James!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duchess by Night.