Cheryl Landmark's Reviews > The Weeping Empress

The Weeping Empress by Sadie S. Forsythe

Jul 04, 2012

liked it
Read from July 20 to September 18, 2012

For the most part, I liked this book. The writing was quite well executed, aside from a few minor editorial flaws, which really weren't negative enough to pull me out of the story. But, I have to admit there were some other issues that prevented me from giving it more than 3 stars.

The story started off on a thrilling note with a fast-paced action scene in which Chiyo found herself unexpectedly awakened in the middle of a full-blown battle. She had little time to wonder how she came to be there as she was forced to fight for her life. The theme of deadly, bloody, gore-filled battles took precedence over much of the rest of the book as well and were vividly described by the author.

So, my issue? How and why did Chiyo revert so rapidly from a loving, well-adjusted mother and wife in her past life to a relentless, bloodthirsty killer who showed not the slightest remorse or guilt for any of her killing sprees? Why did she enjoy feeding the beast within her so much and give in so willingly to its greed and lust for death? I found the transition in her character very disturbing and unsettling and maybe a touch unbelievable as well. There seemed to be little reason or provocation for such a chilling change in attitude and was, in my opinion, a bit overdone.

The world building was not bad but could have been better developed. Was it an entirely new fantasy world, or was it meant to be a depiction of feudal Japan? There were definitely major overtones of Japanese culture in it. I, as a reader, was not entirely certain and found the backstory a little lacking.

I did like the religious cult, the Sacerdotisa. It was quite an interesting group of women, even though we only met a few of them. Of the two men, I think I liked Muhjah better than Senka.

All in all, a fairly enjoyable read. And, Ms. Forsythe shows a lot of potential as a writer. I would definitely read more of her work in the future.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weeping Empress.

09/05/2012 page 186
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Malla (new)

Malla Thanks for review.