Preet's Reviews > Semi-Charmed Life

Semi-Charmed Life by Nora Zelevansky

Jul 25, 12

Read in July, 2012

Happy fourth you wonderful people! What better way than to bring in the day with a little New York socialite fun, right? Semi-Charmed Life was such a fun read! Though it took a bit of time to get properly started for me, I loved being thrown into the New York posh life while still being an outsider. I will always be a hardcore West coast/California lover, but after hearing so much about New York life it's like you're walking the streets with Beatrice as she tries to figure out life.

I was actually surprised to end up really liking Beatrice. At the beginning I really thought I wouldn't, but her personality is so likable that I loved being in her head. Though I do think her tangents at times were a little long to the point I kind of skimmed through them, I enjoyed being able to see her train of thought to events. I really liked that she was just as lost in life even if at first glance it would seem she has everything together. Zelevansky also writes a nice group of side characters throughout the story that definitely kept me reading. Veruca was kind for the most part, but always had that somewhat controlling undercurrent that kept me wary of her. Ben is so adorable that I really couldn't wait to see his shirtless bod with Beatrice in non-shirtless situations. (Get that head out of the gutter, gosh.) I also continually imagined him with a stake like Buffy...Yeah, I know you're intrigued.

My only real issue with the book was the slight magical touch in the story. It kind of threw the story off for me at times because I'd start contemplating what was behind events instead of the story. It isn't anything that ruins the book, but I don't really think it added much for me so I could've lived without it.

Not only is Nora Zelevansky's Semi-Charmed Life that perfect summer read to whisk you away to trips you've only dreamed about, but it's also about finding and being true to who you are. I look forward to seeing more by Zelevansky in the future because she's definitely made me a fan. Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for providing me a copy for review.

Soundtrack:

Runaway - Mat Kearny
When Did Your Heart Go Missing - Rooney
Beat of My Own Song - Meme
Where You're Coming From - Matt and Kim

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Semi-Charmed Life.

dateDown_arrow    newest »