Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews's Reviews > Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond

Into the Woods by Kim Harrison

Oct 02, 12

bookshelves: 2012-releases
Read from October 01 to 02, 2012

*Rating* 3.0
*Genre* Urban Fantasy

*Review*

I had previously read some of these, especially those part of other anthologies. Just did a quick re-read and observation on each story. Here's a breakdown of my thoughts on the various stories that Harrison put together as part of Into the Wood Anthology.

1. The Bespelled was first published as part of The Outlaw Demon Wails. This is the story of Al (Algaliarept) and Ceridwen Dulciate and how he ended with Ceri as his familiar. The story is told by Al's prospective and goes a long way into understanding that he's been feeling a bit of dissatisfaction with his job of culling of new souls. Overall B-

2. Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel is from Holidays are Hell Anthology. Set in the year 1999, we see Rachel as a 18 year old kid who longs to be part of the IS like her father who died on the job. We get a peek at Pierce Gordian for the first time as well. This is more or less a Novella length story that really gives readers a glimpse into what Rachel has experienced throughout her life. Her brother Robbie and Mother are also featured in this story. Overall B+

3. Undead in the Garden of Good & Evil is from Dates from Hell Anthology. This is Ivy and Kisten's story. Ivy is working for the IS's Homicide Division and trying to keep her boss from biting her which is kin to having sex. I seriously miss Kisten, so, this was a nice reminder of why he meant so much to both Ivy and later to Rachel. This also has an interesting twist with Mia the banshee who will will see later on in this book. Overall B+

4. Dirty Magic brings us another short story this time with Mia the Banshee as the main protagonist. Mia is an interesting character and she becomes even more real with the fact that she has a daughter that needs to feed off emotions just like her mother. Overall C+

5. The Bridges of Eden Park is from For A Few Dollars More - Rachel and Kisten are together and this time they work together to save Kisten's sister Chrissie and her baby from her ex. I love that this was an ode to Kisten by Harrison. Overall B-

6. Key Line Drifter is from the Unbound Anthology - Another longer story which features Jenks and Bis helping another pixy named Vincet with a problem with his newlings. It also has a wonderful moment between Jenks and Matalina. Overall A-

7. Million Dollar Baby takes place during Pale Demon (The Hollows # 9) when Jenks and Trent go on an Elf Quest to steal Trent's daughter back from Ellasbeth. Trent has come a long way from the arrogant prick I first thought he was. Now, it seems he actually cares about Rachel and he and Jenks work pretty good together.

Beyond the Hollows is the last section of the book and has four longer Novella type stories.

8. Pet Shop Boys is a story about vampires who are fey like in characterization. If you eat or drink anything in their realm, you are stuck there permanently. It's the story about a female vampire and her child who crosses over into the Hollows in order to lure a man to become her husband. Interesting story but I would have liked to perhaps seen a longer version of this story. Overall B-

9. Temson Estates is a short story that is about a man who inherits a forest and learns a few things about his own heritage. Probably the weakest story in this particular anthology. I would have liked to see more about the dryads and his connection to the land. Overall C

10. Spider Silk is another novella length story that brings Puck from A Midsummer’s Night’s Dream into the storyline. It's the story of generations of women who have been targeted by Puck to run and dance with him forever. This story abruptly ended without much fanfare or conclusion to the story. Things just didn't add up when you tally everything that happens. Overall C

11. Grace is a longer length Novella and the last story of the book. I actually enjoyed this because it was non stop action. Grace and her partner collect kids for the Strand. The kids they collect have abilities to manipulate energy and therefore are considered dangerous until they can be trained properly. I loved the relationship between Grace and her dog Hoc. There is a story left on the table between Grace and Jason which I would like to see explored more. Overall B+

*ARC recvd from Edelweiss on 07/04/2012* Expected publication: October 12th 2012 by Harper Voyager
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Woods.

10/01/2012
10/01/2012
35.0% "I've already read some of these stories as part of anthologies. Time to skip ahead!" 1 comment
10/02/2012