Tsana Dolichva's Reviews > The Ravenous Dead

The Ravenous Dead by Natasha Hoar

Jul 04, 12

bookshelves: arc

The Ravenous Dead by Natasha Hoar is a new ebook-only novella published by Carina Press. Continuing Carina Press's trend of releasing series of related novellas, The Ravenous Dead follows on from The Stubborn Dead. I haven't read The Stubborn Dead and, while I could guess vaguely what it might have been about, I didn't feel I needed to have read it before The Ravenous Dead nor that The Ravenous Dead was likely to have spoiled the earlier story for me (of course, I might be wrong on that second part, who knows).

Rachel is a rescue medium which means that it's her job to help free souls which are stuck on Earth and deal with certain supernatural creatures. In this novella, a reaper, an undead soul-eater, is ravaging Vancouver and leaving a trail of bodies in it's wake. Rachel sets out to stop it with her protege (with his own special powers) Kit.

It was a little bit gory at the start when the bodies were described but after that the story was mainly action and a little bit of detective work.

There were a few scenes from the reaper's point of view which felt a bit odd. They seemed to make the reader sympathise a bit with the reaper (who didn't end up as a particularly soul-thirsty reaper on purpose) but then ended with him being an emotionless killing machine. It turned out there was a reason for this, story-wise, but it confused me a bit.

There was a nice hook at the end for a possible future story which definitely made me want to read more.

Overall, this wasn't a bad story but it didn't elicit any particularly strong emotions in me. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys urban fantasy and is looking for a quick and action-heavy story to pass the time.

3.5 / 5 stars

Read more of my reviews on my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ravenous Dead.