Shehreyar Khan's Reviews > Grave Memory

Grave Memory by Kalayna Price

Jul 09, 12

bookshelves: fae, police-procedural, private-eye, witches-and-wizards, urban, paranormal, 2012, fantasy, female-pov
Read from July 08 to 09, 2012

Alright, this one had a rather straightforward plot: a creature/spirit/ghost know as 'rider' from the land of the dead is possessing people and using them to achieve an ultimate goal, which I won't reveal.

What struck me about Grave Memory was not the story so much as the in-depth look into the world created my Kalayna Price. If anything, this one was all about collectors, and what they are and what exactly they do. It also provided a look into the Fae realm and explained more about grave witches, graveyards and ghouls, ghosts and shades.

I love an ever expanding mythology, to the point where it doesn't spiral out of control, of course, and Grave Memory didn't disappoint in that field. However, there were points in the book where I felt some scenes were unnecessary or some matters could have been dealt with in a collective manner.

I think the highlight of book was Death-Alex, and I was glad Falin was pushed out of the picture in this one. He seriously pissed me off, even in the beginning. Falin was alwaysslightly arrogant and cowardly (considering what he did to Alex). I know, fae compulsion controls him, blah blah, but what the hell? Compulsion isn't supposed to work on protagonists, is it?

Other than that, there was a lot in the way of exploring the secondary characters and Kalayna Price kicked up the action scenes. You get to see some actual blood, and gut tearing battles, so...great.

Looking forward to the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Memory.