Amy Fournier's Reviews > The Shadow Girl

Apr 09, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: arc, own
Read from April 03 to 04, 2013

When I first heard about this book I knew it was a book I wanted to read. I am big on psychological reads and I was really interested to know what these secrets were that were being kept from her her entire life. I wanted to know if Iris was real. I was interested to know more about Ty because everyone knows that a new mysterious boy is always up to something. This book grabbed my attention and I read it rather quickly. I didn't want to put it down until I knew how it all ended. Oh, bonus points for being a stand alone novel too. That's not to say that I didn't have issues with it, but I did enjoy it.

Lily was not always a very likeable character, in fact about half of the time I wanted to smack her and tell her to stop being so freaking selfish and self absorbed. You already know from the synopsis that she hears a voice and that her dad dies. She knows that her parents were hiding something from her, but days after her dad dies she's on her moms case about it. She's pushy and mean and lies to her. She even at one point tells her she hates her, which I believe is like a week after her dad died. I mean, come on!! I get she wants to know what is going on, but that is just ridiculous!! Then, there's mysterious new boy!! She gets all flirty with him at her dads funeral!! Not cool at all. And then she pretty much leads on her best friend thinking he might have a shot at her, but she knows that she really likes Ty. I could go on and on about her stupid decisions. I do think that she was a very determined person though, and she isn't afraid to stand up for what she thinks is right, but I don't like that sometimes she did it at the expense of others. Hmmm that didn't sound like I liked her much at all, but I actually did.

So then there's Ty. He has some secrets of his own, surprise, surprise right?! I actually really liked him though. He is never mean to anyone, but he will do what he has to in order to get the answers he needs too. He actually has a really good heart, and anything that he does to hurt people isn't intended. He just has such a desperation for why he needs to uncover a secret that you can't help but want him to succeed and get whatever answer he seeks!

The other characters didn't do much for me either. I couldn't stand her best friend Wyatt at all!! He was so freaking possessive and got jealous almost instantly when Ty talked to Lily the first time. Then when Lily is trying to discuss important things with Ty, Wyatt keeps butting in and saying stupid stuff. Ugh!! I wanted to hit him. He was so annoying that I didn't want to read the parts with him in it at all because I would start to get all worked up about it. He was a very unlikeable character and I pretty much wanted him to fall off of a mountain.

Overall I thought the story was really good though. A bit predictable, but still enjoyable to read with the exception of me feeling a bit violent toward Wyatt. I liked how the secrets and the past all got uncovered, but I do think in the end things were wrapped up a bit too tidy. I never really was able to connect with the characters, so there was no real emotion for me while reading, but I liked it and I would recommend it to people who want a quick psychological read that's not too in depth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Girl.

04/03/2013 page 56
16.0% "Okay really?! She's pining over this guy she doesn't even know at her dads funeral. And her best friend Wyatt seems like a total pushover." 2 comments
04/03/2013 page 108
32.0% "Please tell me this isn't going to be a love triangle thing ... seriously."
04/04/2013 page 200
59.0% "I totally saw that coming. I'm curious as to why and some other things still though. And I still don't like Wyatt."
04/04/2013 page 233
69.0% "I really hope Wyatt doesn't ruin my enjoyment of this book. He's driving me nuts right now."
04/04/2013 page 252
75.0% "Wyatt has to be one of the most annoying characters ever!! I want to jump into this book and punch him and tell him to stop being such a tool!!"

Jennifer haha I was the opposite! Loved Wyatt. Hated Ty. The love triangle was really annoying in this one. That is probably what I hated most.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Fournier Jennifer wrote: "haha I was the opposite! Loved Wyatt. Hated Ty. The love triangle was really annoying in this one. That is probably what I hated most."

I just thought that Wyatt was so freaking jealous and super annoying acting like Lily couldn't even talk to Ty herself or anything. I liked Ty even though it was a bit stalkerish. He did it out of desperation so I let it slide.