Zeenat's Reviews > Seawitch

Seawitch by Kat Richardson

Aug 18, 12

Read from August 15 to 17, 2012

Synopsis: Harper Blaine is a private investigator and a greywalker, someone who can see the world in normal and paranormal. 27 years ago, Seawitch, a boat went missing with all of it's passengers. The insurance company wants Harper to investigate, but the cops are on this case too. Now Harper has to work with detective Rey Solis, a man who is skeptical of everything paranormal. Can they work together to find out what is going on?

Review: Harper is a formidable and unique heroine and the Greywalker books are as original as Urban Fantasy books come. Unlike many UF heroines, Harper is mature, smart, and very rational. However, she is far from perfect. She has her own hangups and makes mistakes (As Quinton was quick to point out in this book). In a paranormal world with supernatural abilities, Harper is refreshingly normal.

This book was heavy on the relationships. One was Harper and Quinton. We saw how life is for them behind closed doors, and their love for one another solidify even more. We see a bit into Quinton's past and meet a family member (briefly). Another relationship we see develop, which I believe is the central point of this novel, is Harper and Rey's. They move from a point of begrudging distrust to friendship. And it doesn't happen with a snap of fingers, but rather we see it unfold organically. We also get to meet Rey's family, and they were a fun addition to this novel.

Worldbuilding is unquestionably Richardson's forte. I mean, after 7 books, you may start to get bored with the world. But that is not the case with the Greywalker books. Her attention to technical details is nearly flawless. The way the grey works, through threads and mists, is mindbending. I also like that the supernatural world is not "pretty" in these books. Vampires are smelly, and mermaids have serrated teeth.

One of the cons of this book was that the second half slowed down quite a bit. There were a lot of talking about ideas and guesses on what is going on, but not much action. I was also waiting for Quinton's physics explanation of why shapeshifting CAN occur, but didn't get that in. At the very least, I wanted to see his confusion!

Overall, this book exceeded my expectations. If you want a non cliche Urban Fantasy book, then read the greywalker series. It is an original!

Sex: Nothing really, just some kissing and cuddling.
Violence: There is a bit of fighting and dead people. Not much of the gore is described, however.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Series Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Quote:
“Fall?” he repeated. “Say more like flying, as if someone threw you. What . . . was that?”
I chewed on my words before I let them out. “I . . . sometimes have little disagreements with . . . um, with reality. And physics.”

Next Book: Richardson is working on Greywalker 8, but no titles or dates yet!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seawitch.

Quotes Zeenat Liked

Kat Richardson
“I threw my arms around him. “I yearn only for you.”
Quinton gave a self-conscious shrug and an embarrassed laugh. “I feel the same way about you and I’m sorry I’m  .  .  . being an ass. Also, I suspect you just wanted to use ‘yearn’ in a sentence.”
Kat Richardson, Seawitch
tags: love

Kat Richardson
“Fall?” he repeated. “Say more like flying, as if someone threw you. What  .  .  . was that?”
I chewed on my words before I let them out. “I  .  .  . sometimes have little disagreements with  .  .  . um, with reality. And physics.”
Kat Richardson, Seawitch

08/15/2012
08/16/2012
36.0% ""She was  .  .  . she was just sitting on the dock. She was sort of singing to herself and dangling her feet in the water.”

Mermaids? that's my theory."
08/16/2012
61.0% "Life is seriously getting in the way of my reading"
08/17/2012
78.0% "Like Quinton, I will never think of the Little Mermaid in the same way ever again . . ."