Ilyhana Kennedy's Reviews > The Slap

The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas

Jul 04, 12

Read in July, 2012

I had high expectations when I picked up this book. It had won awards and the TV series had provoked much discussion. I saw only one of the later episodes and was impressed by the quality of the production and the issues being tackled in the storyline.
The book fell far short of what it could have been. There was just one chapter, "Manolis", that I felt was written well. It was in fact written extraordinarily well and stood out from the rest of the book. The character spoke through the writer and came to life. For the rest of the eight characters/chapters, I felt that I was reading about them. They were not speaking directly to me as the reader.
The book tackles some hefty social issues in a layer of contemporary Australian culture and the author must be given due credit for courage.
The manuscript might perhaps have been served well by paring it down. There is much filler, perfunctory mechanical text. "He did this, then she did that."
An overload of often aggressive sex seemed gratuitous.
The book certainly didn't attempt to curry favour with any of the characters and exposed them as raw, often hard-edged. I don't expect to have to like the characters to like the book. I just want them to be honoured by the writing style.
I did like the structure of the book. It worked well.
I'm left feeling like I wish I could give it more than three stars.
And I might add that proof reading these days is not what it used to be...so many missed words in this text.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Slap.

Simon Cooper I really liked Manolis' voice, and would like to have had the author explore more of the older Greek community - a little lost in all the other storylines!