Martina's Reviews > SuperFreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes And Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance

SuperFreakonomics by Steven D. Levitt

Jul 04, 12

I haven't read the first book by the same authors, but judging from the introduction in this one it had a similar approach.

I wasn't impressed at all with this, and I'm sorely disappointed because it had gotten some favourable recs. They start the book of with saying how it's not really about anything, or more like everything, and I couldn't agree more. I think Dan Ariely approaches many of the same subjects, in a more methodical, lucid and coherent way.

Especially unimpressed with the bit that happily jumps on that bogus study from south africa that correlates circumsicion with a 60% drop in in HIV infection rates. After having so painstakingly (and patronizingly) pointed out repeatedly the suspicion one should regard statistics and new findings - in line with their overarching premise that that which is CHEAP and SIMPLE is often the best route - they go ahead and present this another great find to uphold their flimsy premise.

I am a total sap for pop-sci work on economics, whether it be micro or macro stuff, but this was nigh on unreadable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read SuperFreakonomics.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamara (new)

Tamara I was entirely unimpressed with Freaconomics #1. (What you attribute to incompetence I attributed to malice though. It struck me as fundamental hyper-liberal apologetics.)

Martina Good point. I had an epiphany at trying to do wee reviews on here, but I'm just getting the hang of it.

I agree though, it seems wildly self-serving and I'm not really naive enough to think it'd be sheer ignorance.