laaaaames's Reviews > You Take It From Here

You Take It From Here by Pamela Ribon

Jul 09, 12

liked it
Read in July, 2012

I liked this book OK. (Clearly by my opening statement you can tell I am a professional critic who takes reviews very seriously.) Ribon's voice is irrepressibly engaging/relatable/distinct. She's also utterly fantastic at capturing real dynamics: not just the bestfriendship at the core of this novel but everything offshooting from it as well.

I struggled somewhat with the book (though not too much because I seriously stayed up past my "bedtime" (I'm an adult so a "bedtime" is more of a hypothetical "I should attempt being a responsible human being" theory than a set rule) reading this, and then got up the next morning to finish it while I ate breakfast) because I kind of hated Smidge. Smidge reminded me of girls who made my life hell, who unhealthily influenced my life.

I like that Ribon acknowledged this? But it still made it tough to get as emotionally invested as I wanted to be. The end was sad but also...a relief??

Props to Ribon for never taking the salacious way out even though she had plenty of opportunities. I love restraint in a writer!

(read: 59)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Take It From Here.