Will Byrnes's Reviews > Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife

Spook by Mary Roach

Apr 30, 14

bookshelves: non-fiction, comedy-satire, brain-candy
Read in December, 2006

Roach is the author of Stiff, a raucous romp through the wonderful land of death. It is only natural that she might continue that escapade with a look past the curtain. Are there ghosts? Is there life after death? She examines a host of topics under her conceptual umbrella, looking at reincarnation, the hunt for the seat of the soul, the notion that the soul weighs 21 grams, ectoplasm, the effectiveness of mediums, including her stint in medium school, (she outgrew small but was not yet advanced enough for large school?) EVP, and more. As with Stiff, it is a bit hazardous reading this in public as one is apt to burst out into laughter every now and then, victimized by the snide commentary that makes this book great fun to read. I particularly enjoyed the section on the possibility that infrasound, that is, sound at or about 18-20 decibels, might account for a wide range of supposedly psychic experience. Spook has enough payload to justify the trip and the humor makes it a very spirited ride.

Other Mary Roach works
Stiff
Packing for Mars
Gulp

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spook.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jason hello expert in all that is goodreads. Which should i get into first Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void

Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void or Spook? i already read stiff (finished today) so im going to take a one book in between vacation (me before you), but was curious which one you would recommend next.(less)

Will Byrnes Either would be fine. Both are wonderful fun.

Jason spook probably follows nicely from Stiff.... then im going to slam head first into Bonk.... Im curious.

message 4: by Caroline (new)

Caroline I am utterly repelled (boredom x 1000) at the thought of any sort of ghostly or after life investigation, even a funny one, but am intrigued that you were drawn to reading this book. It must be very, very, very funny indeed.

Will Byrnes Mary Roach has a gift for making pop science wonderfully entertaining

message 6: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Hummmm....okay.

Jason Caroline wrote: "Hummmm....okay."

it wasnt that bad. Roach just has a style that becomes exhausting. his one was her lowest, but even at her lowest she is somewhat entertaining. there isnt a lot on the topic, so writing the book seemed like it was a task for her; she was trying too hard.

message 8: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice Hmm... Spook? Gulp!

Jason Spook. I haven't read gulp yet. I gotta get on it. Sometimes her writing is a bit too much.

message 10: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will Byrnes Obviously, Jas, Roach's approach is one you find unappealing. With the vast number of books available, why read something you are unlikely to enjoy?

message 11: by Caroline (last edited Jul 16, 2013 12:03AM) (new)

Caroline Jas wrote: "Caroline wrote: "Hummmm....okay."

Hi Jas :-)

It was the theme rather than any criticism of Mary Roach that drives me away from this book. I don't think anyone in the world could write a book about supernatural theories which would hold my interest beyond the first page. I have however, due to Will's enthusiasm for her work, just added Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers to my t-r lists. I think that will be much more to my tastes. She sound an interesting writer....

Jason Omg stiff is stomach turning goodness. One of her best. I'm doing gulp next. High rec stiff.

message 13: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Jas wrote: "Omg stiff is stomach turning goodness. One of her best. I'm doing gulp next. High rec stiff."

Excellent! I shall look forward to it :-)

message 14: by Lilo (new) - added it

Lilo I gotta have this book. -- Just bought it.

message 15: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue This appeals to me too so on the list it goes.

message 16: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will Byrnes MAry Roach puts the "fun" in scientific fundamentals

Jason Gulp was ok on its own. A bit less entertaining and more serious

message 18: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Dancer I've had this book on my list for some time. Thanks for bringing my attention to it again.

message 19: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara I loved "Stiff" and I have all of Mary Roache's books on my wish list. When I recommend "Stiff" to my friends, it is difficult to make them realize that it isn't a "dark" book at all, and is actually filled with humor. This is a great review and I'll look forward to reading "Spook."

message 20: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will Byrnes Thanks, Barbara. Mary Roach is wonderful.

message 21: by cameron (new) - added it

cameron A new and delicious author! Thanks all. Who can resist the titles?

message 22: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Yes, her titles are quite whimsical.

message 23: by Heartbleed (new)

Heartbleed hi

message 24: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will Byrnes Heartbleed wrote: "hi"

Hi, yourself