Bonnie's Reviews > Every Day

Every Day by David Levithan

Sep 13, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, romance, ya, arcs, first-in-series
Read from August 03 to 05, 2012

Expected Publication Date: August 28th 2012 by Random House Children's Books

Every Day was kindly provided to me by Netgalley for Random House Children's Books.

Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

'Every day I am someone else. I am myself - I know I am myself - but I am also someone else.
It has always been like this.'

A is a new person every day. Boy, girl, straight, gay, white, African-American... it doesn't matter. Each day A lives life through the eyes of someone new. A is something of a spirit and has no control over where he ends up the next day but it happens without fail each and every night. After being so many different people, A has made it a point to not change these people's lives. He's able to access memories in order to determine where they need to be on each particular day and to be able to interact with others in that person’s life but A tries to interact as little as possible because of the guilt from the intrusion. I found the whole concept of this storyline to be extremely interesting and original despite a few issues.

'If you stare at the center of the universe, there is a coldness there. A blankness. Ultimately, the universe doesn't care about us. Time doesn't care about us.
That's why we have to care about each other.'

First off, there was this one particular scene where A goes to a computer and accesses his personal e-mail account. To me, A seemed more like a spirit which inhabited a new person’s body on a daily basis and since this was never elaborated on then that’s the explanation I created. So, spirits with email accounts? Eh. Of course this played a huge part in the entire story, but it still threw me off for the rest of the book.

It had a wonderful message though, about loving someone for who they are inside and not for what they look like outside. The love story itself between A and Rhiannon I admit was a bit instantaneous but I ended up sold by the end pages. It was touching and incredibly sweet and I truly believed that she loved A and not because of an outside appearance as that changed daily. But...

'If I were in a different body, this would be the time I would lean down and kiss her. If I were in a different body, that kiss could transform the night from off to on. If I were in a different body, she would see me inside. She would see what she wanted to see.
But now it's awkward.'

Then A woke up in a 300 pound body. It was definitely disconcerting how A acted because of his appearance, how everyone treated him that day, and how it resulted in (view spoiler) Also, I found it to be a bit over the top when A and Rhiannon were struggling to see each other every day. A was always calling in sick or leaving school early just to meet up with her to see her and Rhiannon was doing the same. It seemed as if the majority of the story was finding rides and making excuses to get to see her and it got a little exhausting.

Despite my few issues, I still found this to be a fast and enjoyable read. This is only my second David Levithan book (first being The Lover's Dictionary) but his writing continues to amaze. Definitely won’t be my last book of his.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Day.

08/03/2012
9.0% "'What is it about the moment you fall in love? How can such a small measure of time contain such enormity?'"
08/03/2012
11.0% "Ehh... 'I go onto his computer. I open up my own email account...' whoa whoa, stop there. This being is a spirit, soul, whatever you want to call it. And it has an email address? uh... no." 1 comment
show 2 hidden updates…