Leah's Reviews > Deadline

Deadline by Mira Grant

Mar 03, 13

bookshelves: read-in-2012, zombies, dystopian
Read from July 03 to 15, 2012 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** Well. Damn, can Mira Grant write a conspiracy-driven book. I must say, I enjoyed Shaun as the protagonist more than I did George. I like George in the first book, but Shaun has a personality that is more my style. This book was a bit more far-fetched than the first, what with Shaun being haunted in his mind by the voice of his dead sister/lover? That little bit through me for a loop. Can't say that the thought hadn't occurred to me in the first book. Even though I know that they aren't genetically related in any way, shape, or form it still did the job of making me uncomfortable. Especially since I really like Becks. She's a great character. She reminds me of myself a bit and I hate the way things played out for her. Also Dr. Abbey. I would be very happy if she became a recurring character. The world needs more smart-ass female doctors. Even the fictional world.

The conspiracy in this book was much more my style than the politics that were the driving force of Feed. A medical conspiracy of zombie outbreak and viral host adaptation is a dream for a veterinary student. The reservoir state was a concept worth exploring. Viral shedding from host reservoirs is a common form of horizontal infection. And Grant has some wonderful quotations that succinctly sum up the idea of the viral interaction with the human immune system that I absolutely love. Taking on the CDC as a villain was a good mind swap. Making a global health care conglomerate into a global supervillain is a bit of genius in and of itself.

The ending was lovely. I'm already speculating as to the nature of Shaun's reservoir condition. I'm debating whether or not George is actually a clone, or if the Kellis-Amberlee somehow managed to prevent amplification and reverse the bullet wound, as idiotic as that sounds. Probably about as idiotic as a fully grown human clone with the same memories and personality as the original in a short enough time span that she could conceivably re-join the plot. Either way, I'm excited to read Blackout now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadline.

Quotes Leah Liked

Mira Grant
“That's what humanity does when faced with wolves. We take them in, tame them, and teach them how to keep us safe.”
Mira Grant, Deadline