Sara 's Reviews > Captive in the Dark

Captive in the Dark by C.J. Roberts

Aug 31, 12

bookshelves: erotica, intense, stockholm-syndrome, dark, a-must-read, can-t-miss-book, favorites, stellar
Read on July 04, 2012

"Each story wanted, no-needed-to reveal a human fragility, a human bondage which tied people to the things they did and to be the person they held in their heads. Those stories were something true and sometimes horrific but people were people and the parts didn't just tell the whole story."

I added Captive in the Dark to be TBR list but was worried about reading it; thinking it might take me too deep into the darkness and I would need a support group to make it through. I decided to peek at it and skim a few pages but after reading the first few lines this book had me hooked and lost. Falling in to the story chills crawled up my spine and goose bumps covered my skin as I got deeper and darker into this twisted tale.

Caleb is not what I was expecting at all. He frightened me for what he was capable of doing, what he had done and what he will do but I was so conflicted by his behavior. I am not sure if I wanted to see the softer side even thought it added an extra layer to him. He was easier to categorize without it. I wanted a monster in this story and I got one but there were more monsters hidden where we couldn’t see them.

Olivia is a strong willed yet naive girl. Her stubborn actions earn her punishment along with admiration from her Master; the one who wants to break her but the one she wants comfort from. Her being captive in the dark, not knowing what was going to happen, yet as the reader you know, reminded me of classic Hitchcock films. The viewer always knew the score while they players were unaware.

I will not give a repeat synopsis of this book, if you are willing to take a chance and open your mind I suggest you read it. If you are looking for a fairy tale or a light BDSM book I suggest you look elsewhere.

Captive in the Dark is a mind trip; an intense and gripping read that will challenge you and have you question what is right and wrong. What is acceptable behavior and what can be tolerated? It will have you asking yourself if there is such a thing as redemption for the truly wicked regardless of what led them to evil?

Captive in the Dark does not shock or disturb you for the sheer value of doing so because it can. The author weaves and intelligent story that will make you think while you are reading and long after. I am more than anxious to read the sequel, Seduced in the Dark, to continue on this dark adventure and finally know the conclusion of this twisted story.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captive in the Dark.

07/04/2012
10.0% "I only planned on a peek of this and now I cannot put it down."
07/04/2012
25.0% "Referencing Silence of the Lambs and Anne Rice already..."
07/04/2012
52.0% "Stockholm Syndrome; not just a song by Muse eh? But really, I am lost in this book! I cannot put it down. So much more than I thought it would be."
07/04/2012
74.0% "Did I have something to do today? A holiday? Family? I can't stop reading!" 1 comment

Emily ~Literary Gossip~ They dont have this one for the NOOK yet. I have been dying to read it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Wow, you just read two books in a row with characters named Caleb and Olivia. How weird is that?

Sara Stacia ~ mistress of mediocrity wrote: "Wow, you just read two books in a row with characters named Caleb and Olivia. How weird is that?"

I know right! After I finished this I turned to my husband and told him that. It honestly took me until the end of this to realize the names were the same. I guess I was wrapped up in this one. I didn't mean to read it today. It wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be but it was good.

I think my dark side might be able to attempt some Comfort Food soon.

Stacia (the 2010 club) You're easing yourself in. I get it.

Sara I guess so. To think when I read FSOG I thought that was something dark. It is kind of laughable now. I have read so many books I would never have touched before Goodreads.

message 6: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom (view spoiler)

Sara Tom, (view spoiler)

message 8: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Its not that I didn't start to feel sorry for Caleb at some point. But maybe because I'm a guy, I am team Livvie all the way and would rather see Caleb die a slow torturous death than see Livvie abused further. If he mans up and helps her out of the situation maybe I'll change my mind.

Sara Tom wrote: "Its not that I didn't start to feel sorry for Caleb at some point. But maybe because I'm a guy, I am team Livvie all the way and would rather see Caleb die a slow torturous death than see Livvie ab..."

I get it, I do. I keep debating on if I wanted to see that side of him or just have him be a flat out monster. I think it would have been easier but then maybe I wouldn't have the same reaction if he was just straight evil. Who knows? I want Livvie to have her day, no matter what that means for her. She deserves to kick some ass one way or another. I loved her fight in this books, (view spoiler)

message 10: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Totally agree with spoiler. Total freakin shocker too. Didn't see that one coming. I was talking to my sister about the book and she was like ehhh it was too much for me. After the conversation with how the second book might go she'll be reading it...That will give me some time to cool off and maybe I can give Caleb some slack. You even said something above that keeps the controversy over this book. "just have him be a flat out monster". He is a monster!! How he got there is explained but Livvie was an innocent person who's life was destroyed by a monster. Not trying to change your opinion just like the discussion. I know the author did a good job of trying to get sympathy for Caleb because I felt it too but bottom line is DAMN how could a human being break another down like that.

Sara Yes, he is a monster. He almost reminds me of a classic vampire which is funny because she references Anne Rice.

Yes, he ruins and has ruined lives. It is the question of redemption and who actually gets it? But we don't even know if he wants it either?

Holy Hell! Tom you have to read SITD because I just read the first chapter on the authors facebook page. Just when you think you know where this story will go she totally flips you on it. Damn!

message 12: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom What is SITD???

Sara Sorry, Seduced in the Dark, the sequel. I just finished the first chapter she posted and it starts off NOT where you think it will at all! She totally is playing with my mind again. It is nuts!

message 14: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Oh crap!! Well I don't think I'm going to do that to myself...haha

message 15: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom I guess I'll keep an eye out on netgalley.

Sara Tom wrote: "Oh crap!! Well I don't think I'm going to do that to myself...haha"

Okay, don't read it yet but I will be the little redheaded devil on your shoulder come September. LOL

I have turned into masochist I guess! I just pledged money to fund then next book and project she has.

Sara Tom wrote: "I guess I'll keep an eye out on netgalley."

You are on netgalley? I just joined the other day. Trying to vamp my profile up to pimp myself out! :o)