Ayu Palar's Reviews > My Name is Red

Jul 29, 2009

bookshelves: favorites-ever
Recommended for: everyone :D
Read in July, 2009

‘To God belongs the East and the West’ – Al-Qur’an, Al Baqarah ayat 115.

I had abandoned My Name is Red for how long I can’t remember. The brilliance of it was untouched, what a shame. But after reading Other Colours (an amazing essay collection also by Orhan Pamuk), I thought I should give Mr. Pamuk another shot, and boy, how much I enjoyed the novel! And I understand why Pamuk deserves the Nobel prize. He’s the kind of writer that can bring out the cultural richness but at the same time using it to promote world peace.

My Name is Red is a brightly rich novel. The main plot is a murder mystery of a miniaturist in Turkey, but what makes this novel is different is that Pamuk mixes it with other interesting elements: a passionate love story, devotion to art and the cultural clash between the East and the West. At first, I didn’t think the love story was significant enough, but well, it turns out the love conflict has an important role for the ending.

Still not interesting enough for you? Well, let’s see. Inspired by Virginia Woolf, Pamuk loves to make an unusual plotline. The story is delivered through many points of view. Not only the humans, Pamuk also gives voices to unliving things, like a gold coin and a corpse. In fact, it is the corpse that opens the story of the novel. Now you won’t call it ordinary, eh? Pamuk even gives a chance for the murderer to say something. This technique might tire some readers, however it provides the thriller until the end.

The thing that kinda bothers me is that the last chapter of Shekure. I personally think the chapter isn’t too strong to close the novel. If I were Pamuk, I would close it by using Master Osman’s point of view. I’d like to know what his reaction is after knowing who the killer is. But all in all, My Name is Red is a splendid work of art. I just hope no one will make a film of it. I truly believe it won’t capture the magnificence of this novel.
28 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name is Red.

04/04 page 253
03/09 marked as: read

Grace Tjan Hi Ayu, I enjoyed it a lot. It's a dark story, but a fascinating one. I've read several other novels by Pamuk, but could hardly get into them at all.

message 2: by Ayu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ayu Palar I am trying to finish it! WIsh me luck :)

Grace Tjan Ayu wrote: "I am trying to finish it! WIsh me luck :) "

Good Luck! ;) It could be quite repetitive at times, but the story has a kind of hypnotic quality to it.

Irwan Hi Ayu!
Glad that you like it too :-)
It was indeed a great experience reading it.

message 5: by Ayu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ayu Palar Now I want to read another novel from Mr. Pamuk :)

Irwan Try Black Book for a heavy reading, or The New Life which is more daring :-)

message 7: by Ayu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ayu Palar Thanks, will try to find them!

message 8: by Sherien (new)

Sherien inspired by Virginia woolf? really?

message 9: by Sherien (new)

Sherien those stupid, closed-minded terrorist should read this book, dont u think!

Grace Tjan Sherien wrote: "those stupid, closed-minded terrorist should read this book, dont u think!"

@ Sherien : I agree. Maybe we need to have a compulsory education for everyone in Indonesia based on books like these. We can gain valuable insights and develop empathy towards other people through reading.

@ Ayu: glad you like it. I love this book but I find other Pamuk novels to be tough going. Wonder why?

message 11: by Sherien (new)

Sherien Sandy, I totally agree!!!

message 12: by Grace (last edited Jul 30, 2009 07:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Grace Tjan Sherien wrote: "Sandy, I totally agree!!!"

In the Indonesian education system students are rarely, if ever, assigned literature to read. Perhaps our goverment thinks that literature is of no importance, especially compared to science and math, or even religion. Those subjects are undoubtedly important, but reading good literature gives us a broader perspective on humanity. Reading about other cultures teaches pluralism and respect for people who are different from us. It's hard to be an extremist if you have been exposed to different sort of ideas.

We really need this kind of education here! Gw marah & juga sedih liat orang Indonesia yang stupid & narrow-minded kayak teroris2 itu. :-(

message 13: by Sherien (new)

Sherien Bener bgt! kalau diperhatiin, negara2 maju udah memiliki awareness tentang kepentingan sastra sejak lama dan dimasukin di dalam kurikulum sekolah sebagai aspek yang sangat penting. Ini memang yang kita ga punya. sastra & seni di sini masih dipandang sebagai 'pelengkap' & hiburan aja sih..sayang ya...

Grace Tjan Ya karena memang itu penting untuk pengembangan kepribadian. Sastra itu kan kompleks dan multi-tafsir, jadi kita bisa belajar melihat suatu persoalan nggak cuma dari satu sisi aja. Kalau orang jadi ekstrim atau narrow-minded itu kan karena dia nggak bisa melihat suatu persoalan dari sudut pandang orang lain. Jadi belajar sastra bisa jadi antidote pemikiran yang seperti itu.

Nggak tahu deh kapan bisa ada pelajaran kayak gitu di sekolah2 kita. Orang Indonesia masih banyak yang nggak comfortable sama sesuatu yang multi-tafsir atau bahkan ambiguous seperti itu. *jadi ingat jaman penataran P4 waktu kuliah dulu*

message 15: by Ayu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ayu Palar Yes, I think Indonesia people should respect literature more. Marilah dimulai dari kita-kita ini :)

message 16: by Ayu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Grace Tjan Amin. Ayu kan English lit major --- bisa dong ngajar sastra. :)

Irwan Ayu and Sandy,

From your discussions, I think you would be interested to read Pamuk's Snow. In case you haven't read that, of course :-)

Grace Tjan Irwan, I haven't read that. What is it about?

Irwan Among other things is the phenomenon of religious fundamentalism and fanaticism as you two discussed, in the modern context.

Grace Tjan Irwan wrote: "Among other things is the phenomenon of religious fundamentalism and fanaticism as you two discussed, in the modern context."

Sounds interesting. I'll be interested in reading Pamuk's treatment of those subjects.

message 22: by Sherien (new)

Sherien yu, ganti tuh..masa ada di shelf 'abandoned' lo...hehe...kontradiksi ama 'favorites ever'-nya...

message 23: by Sherien (new)

Sherien Sandybanks wrote: "Irwan wrote: "Among other things is the phenomenon of religious fundamentalism and fanaticism as you two discussed, in the modern context."..."

jadi tambah pengen baca!

message 24: by Ayu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ayu Palar @Irwan: Iya, saya pengen baca novel Pamuk yang lain. Tapi di Indonesia mahal :( jadi mau nabung dulu!

Irwan Ayu wrote: "@Irwan: Iya, saya pengen baca novel Pamuk yang lain. Tapi di Indonesia mahal :( jadi mau nabung dulu! "

Oh, gitu. Selamat menabung deh. Coba kalo deket, gue pinjemin deh hehehe :-)

message 26: by Ayu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ayu Palar Hahaha deket kok mas, di benua seberang :)

Irwan ya udah, mampir deh kesini... ntar gue siapin teh ato kopi... jangan lupa bawa pisang goreng yah! :-)

message 28: by Soheil (new)

Soheil Noori Who do you think was the killer?!