Beccalarge's Reviews > The Goose Girl

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

U 50x66
Jul 03, 2012

Read in July, 2012

Four stars might be too much for this book, as I will admit that it is not incredible literature....HOWEVER, it is a great book! I have been in a book rut for months now. I have read a couple of fantastic non fiction but every other book I picked up has been awful. To the point that I haven't read anything in a while. I have had this book on my shelf for a couple years, bought after I heard it was a great clean read for young girls (around 14). I don't usually love young adult novels, but out of desperation I picked this one up yesterday and finished it this afternoon.

It is a fairy tale, sweet and innocent with a good message and a happily ever after ending. But this book is also so much more. It is just what I needed to reignite my love of reading. Not necessarily because the story was so amazing (although I really was interested), but because I loved the words. Sometimes I want a book that teaches me, other times one that trasports me to a different place or connects with my emotions, and then there are times I just need words. Beautiful, simple words put together in such a way that they create an image or evoke emotion not only for the story they tell but just because of the beauty in words. I found this in Goose Girl.

I am not saying that Shannon Hale is a great writer (although she is much better than I was expecting!), there was a lot I didn't love...but for a young adult book the writing really was touching and beautiful. I am excited to have my own daughters read this book. I believe everyone should love to read for pleasure, to pull out the theme, to connect with a story or character, but I also want my girls to love the words. To find beauty and meaning in a simple phrase or description, to actually feel the words they read. Goose Girl is the perfect book for young readers, the story is sweet and will keep them interested while the beautiful writing works its way into their hearts. (Pretty much the opposite of many of the young adult books I have read that I do not want my daughters reading).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goose Girl.