Heather 's Reviews > The Time-Traveling Fashionista at the Palace of Marie Antoinette

The Time-Traveling Fashionista at the Palace of Marie Antoinette by Bianca Turetsky

Jul 31, 12

bookshelves: arcs-i-own, september-2012-releases
Read in July, 2012

Louise Lambert is another year older after her first adventure on aboard the Titanic. 13 brings with it the not so fun surprise that her father is out of work and funds are low at their home. She may have to miss her class trip to France which she and best friend Brooke have been looking forward to all summer long. To add injury to the insult, the boy she's been after, Todd, is seeking the attention of the cute new student from California and Tiff will be going with Todd while Louise stays home.

What better to cheer her up than another invitation to an exclusive traveling fashionista vintage sale? The address on the invitation leads Louise to a cobble stoned side street she's never noticed before. Marla and Glenda, the witchy old shop owners are sure to have some new pieces for her to try on. Fashion is Louise's passion- so when she sees the egg blue french ball gown tucked away she's bound and determined to slip it on... even if it's not what the shop owners had picked out for her. Putting int he magical gown Louise is instantly transported to another time and place. Can she survive the politics of Marie Antoinette's court? And can she make it out in time before she loses her own head?

I enjoyed the second installment of The Time- Traveling Fashionista more than the first. I think author Bianca Turetsky has polished her writing and made the adventure realistic and suspenseful. I can't wait to see the full color hard back version as the ARC is missing full color illustrations and a history guide in back that will be in the final copy. Bianca brings history alive for young people in a way that makes them want to learn more. The world building was fantastic as well as the pace. There was little drag to the story; it kept me engaged the entire time. I love Louise's obsession with all things vintage, including Polaroid cameras. I'm excited for book three an the new character, Peter. The tiny little dash of romance made things fun. This is a series I will be passing on to my children. I would recommend it for ages 9 and older as there is reference to beheading and discussion of violence from the revolution. Overall, a fast, entertaining historical fiction pick for middle grade to younger young adults.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time-Traveling Fashionista at the Palace of Marie Antoinette.